a few newbie Questions. I always wanted to ask.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by coffey7, Jun 6, 2006.

1. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

Feb 12, 2006
    1. do I ever have to delete cookies or cache in a mac like with windows?
    I use ccleaner for xp.
    2. Does a Mac ever need adjustments to keep the speed up? Like defragment the harddrive.
    3. Once I delete a file on a Mac I have heard that is gone for good and xx's cover up any trace of the contents of the file. Is this true? Like if I sold my mac would the new owner be able to look at my files?
    4. if I upgrade to 2 gb ram will it open web pages faster?

Thanks for any input. I'm a super newbie. I have a 2.0 white macbook with 60 gb harddrive and 512mb memory.
  2. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

Mar 23, 2003
    New England
    1. It is up to you. I don't delete cookies, but once a month or so I clear the cache.

2. It does not "need" defragmenting. I use DiskWarrior to rebuild my directory on occasion. Usually once a month also.

3. Deleted files are gone for good if you "secure empty trash" or overwrite the deleted data. You can also zero or overwrite a drive using disk utility to be sure deleted files are gone for good.

4. Two gigs may be overkill. I have 1GB in my PowerMac. It will definitely speed up your system/GUI.
  3. coffey7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 12, 2006
  4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Yeah, 1GB is kinda the minimum for Intel machines since Rosetta is so RAM-intensive, but 2GB may be overkill.

Otherwise, listen DZ/015, you don't need to do anything aside from calibrate its battery once a month. :)