A few PC questions (Apache, anti-virus)

Discussion in 'Community' started by iQuit, Aug 29, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502a

iQuit

I want to setup a web server and I have heard about Apache for windows but was unable to find the download. Also how can I set it up? I have cable internet and a router and this is running XP. Also about viruses. I have Avast, I know if u have avast and AVG then they will interact badly with eachother and it isnt recommended....but Can I download the Computer Associates EZ Trust Antivirus and still have Avast installed? Or will they not work well together? thanks for the help.

2. macrumors 604

clayj

I can tell you part of what you need to know... if you're going to host a web site from your home, you will need to do the following:

1. On your router, you will need to make sure to open the ports used by web sites (usually just ports 80 and 443) and make sure that traffic on those ports is routed to the machine that will be hosting the web site.

2. You will need to sign up with a service like DynDNS.org to make sure that your web site's domain name (whatever.com) is properly and continually pointing to your IP address (a.b.c.d). Since you're using a cable modem, your IP address MAY change, so you need for your domain name to be dynamically updated. DynDNS can help you with the service and provide you the necessary dynamic DNS client software for your web server.

3. Make DANG sure that your web server is running anti-virus software and that it has all available security patches and service packs installed BEFORE you put it on the Internet.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

thanks...

4. macrumors 68040

plinden

Get the Win32 download from http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi