A few problems, with a few apps (mail, iTunes, software updater)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EasyB, Dec 2, 2006.

1. EasyB macrumors member

EasyB

I have a few mac problems, If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate them. Thanks in advance.
    -B

1) Macs Software Updater
    Error Message after from software update, after it downloads the update and ask for my password.
    This message always comes up, like when iTunes was updated, I had to go and get the file from the website to make it work.

2) Mail never remembers my earthlink PW, but it remembers .mac mail
    -even in account preference page, I have my password there, and it still asks me.
    -If it is a pref file, I don't want to lose the way my mail program is set up, if it changes everything (rules, folders,etc) I would rather live with typing in the password always.

3) iTunes& iPod
    a-When I plug in my iPod, The iPod does not mount (the screen says DO NOT UNPLUG) I have to physically rest the iPod and then no problems.

b-Itunes music store always times out, And I have a very good cable connection.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

To ensure this isn't a messed network connection problem, create a new user in System Preferences and see if you get the same problems there. :)

Okay, try trashing the PLIST file for Software Updater. It's in the Preferences folder and it's called com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist. Drag it to the Desktop and try again.

I think this might be a server-side issue. Every now and then, my email provider does the same thing but it eventually passes. Nevertheless, check with EarthLink as to whether you need SSL authentication.

Strange. The time out errors may be related to the Software Updater errors, in which case the new user account may be beneficial in telling us what's happening. As for the iPod, have you tried restoring its firmware? :)

3. EasyB thread starter macrumors member

EasyB

1) I deleted the plist for software update, still the same problem.

3) iPod syncs without reseting it now, good call. I was managing it manualy, so I must redo my playlist and stuff, but worth it.

I want to reinstall over my accounts, but I hate to because the machine is working pretty good. But there are times it will not shut down, there are times when the beach ball spins forever and other small problems. I think it might be better to live with the small annoyances. I think there will always be something not working quite right.

Thanks for the help
    -B

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Rather than reinstalling the OS, open a new user account in System Preferences and see if things are better from there. Also, try running fsck to ensure your file system is okay. Neither of these methods should lose any data. :)

5. EasyB thread starter macrumors member

EasyB

Yea, acutely I forgot to write that I did that and the problems persisted there too.

-B