A few questions about being a Vegetarian.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Fearless Leader, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Mar 21, 2006

Ok, recently I have cut back on the amount of meat I have eaten. Then a week ago I completely cut out meat. The Main two reasons were that I'm getting kinda big and have noticed a lot of calories/fat intake coming from meat. Also greasy/fatty/fried foods make me through up, literally. For some time now I'll get really sick to my stomach if I eat much more meat than say a few ounces. Also after reading some things about animal slaughterhouses I really don't want meat anymore.

Also I don't like milk that much and eggs I could careless about so they go too.

Onto the Questions:

Q1) Do I need supplements of any sorts get protein/calcium/nutrients or will beans/other veges be enough?

Q2) I crave bread, I love it. But from baking it I know their is both milk and eggs in it. Do vegetarians cut out these kinds of foods? Or just vegan (hard core vegetarians right?).

Q3) Does anybody have any tips, suggestions, resources, etc.?
  2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    1) Yes, you'll need supplements. There are certain necessary proteins that can only be found in meats. Definitely ask your doctor first.

2) It's your choice. Generally, vegetarians will eat eggs and milk, and vegans definitely will not.

...Rather than picking one based on vegetarian or vegan, just pick what you want to eat and what you don't; I would think of it as "what you want to do," not "what you want to be."
  3. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

Oct 19, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    I've been a vegetarian for 7 years now although I'm not vegan so I do eat dairy (cheese mostly) and eggs.

So here's my take:
    1) I don't take em and I don't believe most vegetarians/vegans do either. It's just a matter of eating a balanced diet, lots of veggies & fruit and you'll get all the vitamins & nutrients you need. As for protein it's not nearly as much of a challenge has non-veggies seem to believe it is. As long as your eating whole foods (eg not just french fries and noodles) you should be fine. My personal fav website for veg recipes is http://vegweb.com/

2) I agree, bread is awesome, and I eat it as part of my regular diet, as I mentioned I'm not vegan, so I'm really not sure about vegan bread really. You may want to consider whole grain breads as oppose to white bread as it's got more nutrients in it.

3) If you choose to keep eating diary & egg just be careful when your eating out as lots of restaurants seem to think "vegetarian" means "one pound of cheese" to replace the protein. Which is fine once and a while, but if you eat out a lot you'll find your fat in take can get high because of it.

I think the most helpful thing is knowing how to cook really and having a good variety of ingredients at hand in your kitchen. That way when hunger strikes your options are healthy!

Good luck! After about the first 2-3 weeks it really becomes second nature, there's plenty of good food you can prepare that is tasty as heck!
  4. Cloud9 macrumors regular

Aug 10, 2005
    between flesh and thought

You dont need supplements. The only thing your body will miss out on that you are not putting into it already are b6 and b12. And as long as you still eat the occasional piece of cheese you'll get more then you need. The body uses small amounts and will store excess b6 and b12. If you eat a healthy well balanced vegitarian diet then you will do nothing but begin to flood your body with nutireints. This happens as a result of having to actually think about your food choices for once. You wont be able to eat what you always ate in the past. You are going to find how meat is in alot of products that you might not even think it exists in unless you where looking. You might find that over time your palatte is opening up to food you never would have thought about eating, but because you have to look a little further to find restaurant the leave you feeling satisfied your going to to discover lots delicious ethinic foods.

Enjoy being a vegitarian! It's fun. And love your fellow meat eaters, it's just good politics.
  5. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 21, 2006
    Wow thanks for all the info.

I could careless if the person next to me in a restaurant ordered and ate the egg steak bacon pancake smothered with chicken and beef gravy. (well maybe a little cause that would be a lot of food)

I take a multivitamin anyways because of some weird white dots on my fingernails that show deficiency in certain vitamins or something my doctor told a while ago. I stopped a not to long ago and can see that the dots have appeared again.

so another question, Soy milk and other products, do you guys/gals like them?
  6. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

May 2, 2005
    Wheaton/Normal, IL
    Check out http://www.goveg.com. Something about watching the blood spray up out of the throat and up into the air like a projectile made me want to cut back on meat.

Watching chickens being boiled alive and then the workers at the processing plants pulling off their heads while they're alive... for fun... is another thing that's helped me cut back.

7. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    I've recently stopped eating meat too and I've got to say that the veggie choices in most places in the UK have been great when eating out. I'm on holiday right now which is proving a problem when out as they seem to require some dead flesh on each plate leaving the kitchen, at least I'm staying with a vegetarian so it's not so bad.

I have to say I love bread too, I could never give that up and I've been pleasantly surprised by tofu and soya.

I've been encouraged how easy the transition's been to be honest, if anything the food options are even tastier now, and butternut squash is my new best friend :)

Good luck.
  8. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 21, 2006
    I just saw the documentary meet your meat. I'm a person who doesn't get offended ever. I'm a person who doesn't get squeamish at blood. I'm a person who doesn't get grossed out. Watching this video all the above I experienced. Watch this video, you will never eat meat/eggs drink milk again. (well mass produced). I'm ok with say someone going and killing and preparing a deer/pig/cow/other animal yourself.
  9. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    I became vegetarian when I was 19. My girlfriend at the time was a nutritionist so I did it properly. I never took supplements. When I was 20 I decided to become vegan, again following advice. To maintain my body weight I obviously had to eat a lot more after a while I became bored with the restrictions of the diet. I then turned back to being veggie. I was veggie for a further 8 years, but I became ill and was advised by a doctor to eat meat again. Since then I've been healthier than any time than in the previous 10 years.
  10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    It's funny how people think that the protein we need to stay healthy is really hard to get. It's not. As meat eaters, we get "too much" protein, and so even if vegetarians don't have as much protein as I do (for example), they may still be taking in plenty of protein.

I want to try being a vegetarian, but I'll probably wait until I graduate before I begin.
  11. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    I've been veggie for 15 years, although I eat egg and dairy. I take a B12 supplement to keep blood iron levels up, but get my protein mostly from nuts and beans. The important thing is to listen to your body. If it needs something, it'll let you know by giving you a craving for something you've previously got a particular nutrient from.

BTW, the white dots on the fingernails most likely signify a calcium deficiency.
  12. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    As a confirmed meat eater.

You shouldn't need supplements. B12 is not made by any plant, but your body stores it well and deficiencies won't show up for YEARS. A good source for it non animal is brewers yeast and beer.

As for bread, most bread doesn't have eggs. A hard shiny crust is usually from eggs but aside from that none usually. Milk on the other hand is very common in bread. To avoid it look for Kosher markings and the word Pavre.(sp?) Kosher dietary laws forbid the mixing of milk and meat.
  13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Supplements may not be absolutely necessary, but for some, it can be hard to get the necessary amounts of essential amino acids. Before making such a significant diet change, one should always check with their doctor - they'll be able to tell you if you'll need supplements, or which foods can provide everything you need.

Your age will also make a difference.
  14. yojitani macrumors 68000

Apr 28, 2005
    An octopus's garden
    nah! you don't need supps. but things like tofu or soy protein are good... also, for b's try out marmite or vegemite - you can get these if you are in the US. I think vegemite is marginally cheaper than marmite here. Just be warned: it's an acquired taste. Me and my 3 y/o son love it while my wife and my 6 y/o hate it (though my wife eats it for the b's).
  15. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

Jul 25, 2002
  16. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    I've been veg for about 3 years now (since I was ~15). I tried the vegan thing for about a week and just couldn't cope with it. I likes me my cheese (but not in big amounts; it makes me feel icky). :p

I do have multivitamins that I SHOULD take but hardly ever do. They're cherry flavoured kitties and just taste like death. I try to swallow them whole but they're pointy and it hurts my throat.

I don't get sick as often as I do, and I generally feel better than before I was veg.

For b vitamins I use nutritional yeast. I put it on everything. Popcorn, sammiches, chinese food... it's kinda cheesey in flavour. DELICIOUS, though! :)

go for it! Don't hold back! :p
  17. macmama macrumors regular

Nov 26, 2006
    New Jersey
    True that, but just a reminder Rokem, that nearly *all* baked goods besides bread (muffins, cookies, etc) have eggs.

Good luck!
  18. Gentile macrumors regular

Apr 29, 2007
    First of all, if done right Veganism is an all you can eat diet where you loose weight. That means you should not eat Oreos or potato chips just because they are Vegan. When buying food avoid processed food as much as possible. Read the labels and avoid foods with added sugar, enriched flour, corn syrup, and hydrogenated oils (basically anything you can't pronounce).

While supplements are not a bad idea, you can get all the nutrients, proteins, and calcium you need from a well balanced Vegan diet. Plenty of whole grains, nuts, vegetables, fruits, soy, and beans.

Bread and carbs are fine. Just look for the ones made without eggs or milk. Again, read the nutrition label.

Try to give the vegan diet a three week trial and see how it feels.

Good luck and you made a great choice.