Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The_Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
So I recently got a 160Gig iPod classic and had a few questions about different things.

1. I updated some of the album art and other information on my iPod after initially syncing all my music. How do I get that information to update onto my iPod. I've connected and synced it again, but it does not recognize that it needs to change the artwork. Does anyone know how to do this?

2. I've been looking into ripping DVDs onto my computer and then onto my iPod and a lot of people have been suggesting Handbrake. It seems pretty good. I am looking for something that will rip it with the quality that I can still watch it on my 19" computer screen and have it look decent. Does handbrake have a setting for this (or which setting is best).

3. I tried to plug in my iPod on my friends computer earlier and his iTunes failed to recognize or "bring up" my iPod. He has the latest version of iTunes and I couldn't figure out any factors that would prevent his iTunes from "seeing" my iPod. Does anyone know?

Thanks for your help, this is my first video iPod.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
So I recently got a 160Gig iPod classic and had a few questions about different things.

1. I updated some of the album art and other information on my iPod after initially syncing all my music. How do I get that information to update onto my iPod. I've connected and synced it again, but it does not recognize that it needs to change the artwork. Does anyone know how to do this?

2. I've been looking into ripping DVDs onto my computer and then onto my iPod and a lot of people have been suggesting Handbrake. It seems pretty good. I am looking for something that will rip it with the quality that I can still watch it on my 19" computer screen and have it look decent. Does handbrake have a setting for this (or which setting is best).

3. I tried to plug in my iPod on my friends computer earlier and his iTunes failed to recognize or "bring up" my iPod. He has the latest version of iTunes and I couldn't figure out any factors that would prevent his iTunes from "seeing" my iPod. Does anyone know?

Thanks for your help, this is my first video iPod.

1. Go into ipod preferences when attached to your comp, and de-select add album artwork, unplug, then plug back in and checj add album art work

2. Your going to need two different rips, because for your ipod you need to use the right dimensions.

3. Does he have a mac? pc?

The_Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Oh, for 3, my friend has a PC.

I just tried to rip a movie using handbrake and it came out really messed up. Do I need to use another program with handbrake or is there a tutorial somewhere that can tell me how to use handbrake?

flying dog

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
3 - Your ipod is Mac formatted and PCs can't read that on their own. Your only option to use it with both computers is to reformat. I don't know which format works better for the ipod itself, if there is any difference.

The_Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
3 - Your ipod is Mac formatted and PCs can't read that on their own. Your only option to use it with both computers is to reformat. I don't know which format works better for the ipod itself, if there is any difference.

Sorry, I didn't give you enough information.

We are both on PC's so I have no idea what is going on. Is there a usual solution for this type of thing, it seems to be a somewhat common problem

tpete

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2007
2 - I also want to be able to rip something to my Classic and play it on my TV, too. One person said I'll have to rip it twice: once for iPod resolution, once for TV. Please help me with what that means. How do I (or, can I) get the TV resolution version onto my iPod? I'd like to be able to plug it into a Universal Dock or something and watch shows on either the iPod when I travel, or my TV when I'm at home. Do I need to set my iPod so I can exchange files directly with it?

FYI, I'm using the latest Handbrake.

fredsherbet

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2007
Hertford, England
ipod classic can output video to the tv... so can it not play back video at tv dimensions on it's internal screen? (i know the resolution is different, but can't it scale down?)

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
2 - I also want to be able to rip something to my Classic and play it on my TV, too. One person said I'll have to rip it twice: once for iPod resolution, once for TV. Please help me with what that means. How do I (or, can I) get the TV resolution version onto my iPod? I'd like to be able to plug it into a Universal Dock or something and watch shows on either the iPod when I travel, or my TV when I'm at home. Do I need to set my iPod so I can exchange files directly with it?

FYI, I'm using the latest Handbrake.

Reason why people are saying you will need two versions is because a video that is optimized for the iPod screen (320x240) will look really bad on a big tv, and even worse on an HDTV. If you want to maximize iPod hard drive space and have the most room for video, it is best to keep the videos at 320x240 and have a separate version for tvs. The iPod can handle upto 640x480 but the file size is much larger. It's really up to you if you don't mind using more space, and with a 160gig, it may not be as important.

tpete

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2007
Reason why people are saying you will need two versions is because a video that is optimized for the iPod screen (320x240) will look really bad on a big tv, and even worse on an HDTV. If you want to maximize iPod hard drive space and have the most room for video, it is best to keep the videos at 320x240 and have a separate version for tvs. The iPod can handle upto 640x480 but the file size is much larger. It's really up to you if you don't mind using more space, and with a 160gig, it may not be as important.

Thanks. I'm cool with using the space. Are you saying that if I use settings for 640x480, I can load one file (a big one) onto my iPod that'll play both on iPod and on TV?

I'm trying to load every Simpsons episode available, which I already own on DVD, onto one iPod. At the automatic settings in Handbrake for AppleTV, it's about 450 megs per ep. 250 eps for the first 10 years equals roughly 112 gigs.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Thanks. I'm cool with using the space. Are you saying that if I use settings for 640x480, I can load one file (a big one) onto my iPod that'll play both on iPod and on TV?

I'm trying to load every Simpsons episode available, which I already own on DVD, onto one iPod. At the automatic settings in Handbrake for AppleTV, it's about 450 megs per ep. 250 eps for the first 10 years equals roughly 112 gigs.

I wouldn't do the AppleTV settings, I wouldn't count on those playing on the iPod. In the newest windows version of Handbrake, there is a "iPod Hi Rez" preset, I would use that.

450megs is huge for a 30minute show, even at it's best setting, way over-kill. I think the shows would look great even at around 200megs which is probably more around the size the iPod Hi Rez will make.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.