A Few questions about my New 17" Powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Palador, May 26, 2004.

1. Palador macrumors newbie

Palador

Just got my new powerbook about a week ago and am very happy with it on the whole. However, I do have a few troubling issues, I would invite any advice or suggestions any of you might have.

1. It has the screen wobble. Im sure its normal, and I will try glueing a couple rubber feet to stabalize it. I do beleive that this is an oversight by apple, I mean, it doesnt have to be flush to the keyboard, but some support to steady those tiny plastic clips would extend the life of the latch Im sure.

2. Safari is exceedingly slow, granted not as slow as IE, but still much slower than Im used to on my PC. I downloaded Firefox and it is much better, but it takes like 10 seconds to start up, which is quite strange.

3. The trackpad... in a word.. SUCKS! I mean, its not very responsive, it's double-tap click function takes like 3 tries to work... and the clicker is insanely stiff. Also, Im disappointed that there is no trackpad scroll feature (like for the edge of the pad to scroll pages), is there any third party software to fix any of these issues?

4. Quicktime does not play many of my video files. It seems to have trouble with most AVI files and even some MPG files. I have downloaded and installed Divx, which seems to help but it still wont play at least 30% of my videos. Im sure plenty of people here have some advice for me on this one?

5. The UT2004 Demo performs terribly on my 1.5GHz G4, a 1 GB RAM, 128 VRAM, and 5400 rpm drive.

Btw, I was wondering what people have found is the fastest FW800 single drive setup? The LaCie big disk is too expensive and at most I only need 250GB. I assume you can boot and run the OS from an external drive?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice anyone might be able to offer.

2. OziMac macrumors 6502

Try 3ivX (a Quicktime plug-in for DivX) or VLC for your video woes.

But by the sounds of things, you probably should have been looking at a PC laptop - you seem to like gaming, and the track pad functionality is nothing new for Apple (with it's 'simplicity' thing). These are things generally better catered for by PCs I would think.

Your criticisms of the form factor are definitely worrying though. Hope you find some way to fix them and that the Powerbook provides you with some satisfaction.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

there is sidetrack for the track pad, check versiontracker.com for it it will allow you to use the track pad as a scroll wheel, also have you adjusted the settings in system prefs for the trackpad clicking? and you definately want to get VLC for playing movies, it can play just about anything its great and free...sorry i cant be of any help with the screen or harddrive issues.
    im not sure what the problem with safari is, mine starts in no time, especially after updating to 10.3.4....i hope your issues get resovled though and you enjoy your new mac

~timmy

4. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

I'm very sorry to hear about your issues. It seems like quality control at Apple is really slacking off. I strongly suggest that you call Applecare and tell them about your wobbly screen. If they blow you off - write a letter. TELL them that the word on the web is that their quality control is awful and that you paid top dollar for the best laptop money can buy and you're going to warn others about the shoddy quality.

This will only get better if everyone who has these issues makes themselves heard loud and clear at Cupertino.

As far as Safari goes, I find that certain sites load much faster than others. On my machine, Java apps load ridiculously slowly, but most others are pretty fast.

5. wide macrumors 6502a

How wobbly is it? All notebook computers have screens that are at least a little wobbly. Does yours stand out from the bunch?

6. zulgand04 macrumors regular

zulgand04

Hi, Safari in my opion has become slow in its last release, most sites load slow for me, and java that is increadable slow. Though the update that came out today 10.3.4 which you can find in your software update does seem to speed up safari, mine is no where as slow any more. Aslo welcome to the apple community, i hope that the troubles you've had get fixed and that you don't lose faith in apple.

-Neal

7. legion macrumors 6502a

No they don't. There are plenty of notebooks that lock closed and there are plenty that use solid metal hinges.