A few questions before I try Boot Camp out (Macbook)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by LastLine, Jun 21, 2006.

1. LastLine macrumors 65816

Aug 24, 2005
    So I know this is probably answered in a number of threads scattered around but I can't find everything in quite the detail I want.

So here goes in no particularl order.

1) Is there anyway to share files between windows and OS X? Can the partitions read each other or do I need to create a third partition to use for file sharing?

2) On a related note - 80gb HDD, no real use for windows other than MS Access and Visual Studio (perhaps a few small bits and pieces as time goes on too - unsure) what sort of split of partitions would you recommend?

3) How's the driver situation for the Macbook? Are there going to be any issues with things such as wireless, bluetooth and the like in XP Pro if I use an SP2 disk?

4) Does anyone know of a good tutorial for the installation of Windows onto the Mac? I remember seeing an excellent podcast on it once but deleted it before I had any ideas of buying an intel Mac.

Um I think that's about it for now. Unless anyone has any pearls of wisdowm to share? Just a little nervous about this.
  2. Bern macrumors 68000

Nov 10, 2004
    1) Format the Windows partition as FAT32 not NTFS for file sharing

2) Access and Visual Studio can create pretty big files, I suggest at least 15GB partition for Windows and store the files you're creating on an external device.

3) Drivers are all fine. BT, Wireless etc all work perfectly. Only the iSight has no driver so you won't be able to use that in Windows.

4) When you download Bootcamp it comes with a comprehensive pdf that takes you through the whole process. Make sure you follow it.
  3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    1) If you use NTFS for Windows OSX could read the drive, FAT32 it could read and write. Without extra software (MacDrive iirc) Windows cannot read HFS+

2) Up to you!

3) iSight does not work (and attempting to use it can crash Windows).
  4. linkboy macrumors member

Jun 9, 2006
    Looking at Windows can crash Windows:p.

1) You can install XP onto a FAT32 partition, but XP won't like it (it'll work, but it can be flaky). The better route would be for MacDrive.

2) Its up to you, but I'd go with about 20GB. That's how much I have for my Windows partition (but I have a 100GB HD).

3) Bluetooth can be a little hard to get working, but it will work.

4) Windows is easy to install. After you get done with Bootcamp, just restart the computer with a Windows cd in the drive. Just make sure you don't delete your OS X partition.
  5. Bern macrumors 68000

Nov 10, 2004
    I found Bluetooth was very simple. The drivers Bootcamp gets you to burn includes a BT driver. From there pairing your device is simple.
  6. Abulia macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2004
    Kushiel's Scion
    We need a FAQ for this sub-forum. These are the same questions that have -- literally -- been asked (and answered) hundreds of times.
  7. Virtualball macrumors 6502

Jun 5, 2006
    Also the remote doesnt work. A GREAT utillity o use is applemou which allows you to use ctrl+click in windows for right click.