a few questions from a newbie

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thenewguy, Nov 12, 2006.

1. thenewguy macrumors regular

Hi everyone. I'm new to OSX, and am loving it. I have a few specific questions:

1) How do I change it so that the default media player is not quicktime, but VLC?

2) Preview is VERY slow when dealing with PDF images. This is most noticable when dragging the picture around to look at a different section of it. Is acrobat better at this?

That's all for now. I'm sure I'll think of more soon.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Select a movie in Finder and then select Get Info from the File menu. Under the Open With menu, select VLC and then click Change All.

As for Preview, I don't find it terrible slow but I find it much faster than Adobe Reader. That might just be me though. Whatever, it's free so try it out for yourself. :)

3. rkriheli macrumors member

rkriheli

i dunno about you guys, but i find acrobat painfully slower than preview. preview has been great for pdf's in the time i have used it.

4. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Yeah, if I only have to view a quick pdf, preview is the way to go. I don't like waiting the 2 minutes adobe reader takes to launch :/

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, that's exactly what I find. I don't even have it installed on my home machines anymore.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I find Preview really fast on my G4 - don't know what's going on with your MacBook's version. How big are your pdf files?