A Few Questions (Mail)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mem, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Mem macrumors member

Jul 1, 2004
    Hi guys, I know I've asked a lot of questions from you guys recently. I hope I'm not wearing out my welcome, but as a new user I have a few more questions.

My new school e-mail is set up on the web as Microsoft Office Outlook Web Access. Is there any way to set this up so it would run through my Mac Mail App? Entourage also came with my Student Office so I'd also go through that if I had to. I just heard the Mail App was great for simplicity sake...which I would prefer.

Also, how have you marked your laptops. In the event of theft, which I hope will never occur (I've bought a laptop lock and have an additional locked area to keep it in), but in the rare event it did occur how have you marked it so you could say "Hey, that's mine" and point out some permenant identifying feature. My friend has an etcher but I was afraid that using that on the bottom of the laptop to etch my name would somehow harm it (other than cosmetically).

Thank you all.

edit: Has anyone had to use Blackboard on their Mac. Does it work?
  2. iamchestertron macrumors newbie

Aug 24, 2004
    If you are referring to Blackboard that is used at schools/universitys for viewing grades and class related material, I have used and accessed it many times on the Macs in the computer clusters at school without a problem. Can't answer the rest of your questions though, sorry.
  3. morkintosh macrumors regular

Nov 25, 2003
    Outlook web access generally is a web frontend to an exchange server. You can't (that I know of) configure Mail.app to talk to an exchange server, it is a simple POP and IMAP mail client. Entourage on the other hand can be set up to talk to an exchange server, but you'll probably have to be on the windows domain in order to use it. Not sure how the network at your school is configured, but you might want to talk to the IS department to see if they can't help you get on the domain. Panther should have no problem playing nicely on a windows domain.
  4. Crikey macrumors 6502

Jan 14, 2004
    Spencer's Butte, Oregon
    At the university where I work, the Public Safety folks made a bulk purchase of a security system. It consists of a metal tag that you epoxy onto your notebook; the underside etches "stolen property" and some other identifying info into the laptop's case in case thieves remove the tag. The tag has the same identifying info, and informs the would-be thief about the etching beneath. After you install the tag, you go to the manufacturer's Web site and enter the tag's serial number, registering your notebook into their database. The Web address is on the tag, so anyone can check the ownership at any time.

Not a bad system. I wish I could remember what it's called. I never really wanted a laptop that much till I got into Apples, so I didn't pay much attention to the tag system. Aha, Google to the rescue again: check it out.

5. andrewm macrumors regular

Apr 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Exchange support

There may be little need for a Windows domain, however, with regard to the e-mail. When creating a new e-mail account in the Preferences area of Panther's Mail.app, one can choose "Exchange" from the popup menu for e-mail account type.

6. morkintosh macrumors regular

Nov 25, 2003
    Well I'll be damned, I guess they can. I'll have to be more careful about my posts!
  7. Mem thread starter macrumors member

Jul 1, 2004
    Thanks for the help. I took a look and Exchange is an option. I've been playing around with it for a bit but I'll have to wait and see if it works until I set it up at school
    What is an SMTP? The mail is set up as a .Mac account (free trial-which I never use and apparently it set itself up automatically in Mail). So even though I go to create a new account it appears the .Mac SMTP remains.

Has anyone used Blackboard for school...or whatever else it can be used for? I really have no idea what it is, but am hoping it is Mac compatible seeing as though I apparently need to use it for one of my classes.
  8. Natalia81 macrumors regular

Aug 7, 2004
    My school had the same setup. You could access our email accounts thru some online Outlook Web Access thing. However, I could also access thru my Windows PC at home. All I needed was the pop address (which is for the incoming mail, so that's the mail server's address) and the smtp (for outgoing mail, from your isp). I don't know how it works on mail or other mac apps. I was also able to set up my Yahoo! account to access the Outlook Web Access account with the same info. I'm assuming that it wouldn't be any different with a mac email application.

We also had blackboard. But my professors only used it to post grades, projects/hw. I know it has other purposes, like small forums for your classes. And professors could upload files or whatever they wanted.
  9. Mem thread starter macrumors member

Jul 1, 2004
    And you were able to use it on your Mac?
  10. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2003
    blackboard works fine with macs, i use it at college where most of the computers are macs not a problem
  11. Mem thread starter macrumors member

Jul 1, 2004
    Thank you! Having no idea what it was I was a little worried.
  12. Mem thread starter macrumors member

Jul 1, 2004
    I had e-mailed Blackboard tech support before I asked here if Blackboard would work OK with Macs and here's the response I got:

It will depend on which browser you're using. If you're using an up to
    date version of Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator you should have
    no problems.

Can I get an up to date version of these for my Mac? I do really like Safari now that I've gotten used to it, but could continue to use it and just use either IE or Netscape when I needed to use Blackboard, right?
  13. Mem thread starter macrumors member

Jul 1, 2004
  14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    It may work with any browser. They just mention IE and Netscape because they're positive it'll work for those versions and beyond. It may work in Safari, and it may work on Mozilla Firefox. Just try it. It won't hurt you if it doesn't work.