a few questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Zindane, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Zindane macrumors newbie

Jun 4, 2006
    As of right now I am a Windows guy but I would like to get a Macbook Pro. I just have a couple of questions I would like to know before I buy the notebook.

First, would I be able to take my game discs that I have now, put them into a mac and install them so I can play them or do I need to buy whole new CDs?

Second, I am a 3d animator, do programs like Maya or 3dsmax work if I have the CDs (somewhat like the question above), if these programs dont work are there any other ones for Macs?

Lastly, how customizable are Macs? Can I change the whole UI if I wanted to?
  2. reh macrumors 6502a

Oct 24, 2003
    Your existing software will only work if it also contains a Mac OS X version on the disc as well. Windows versions and Mac versions of applications are different and are not interchangeable.

If your disc(s) only contain a windows version you can either purchase the Mac version of the application (if available) or purchase and install Windows on your Macbook Pro via Bootcamp.
  3. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

Jul 11, 2003
    NYC, or thereabouts
    I've heard that software vendors may allow you to switch to the Mac version of their software for the "upgrade" price. I've never done this myself, but it would be worth looking into -- especially if you were going to upgrade anyway.

Technically, the answer is maybe.

Your Windows programs will only run in Windows OS, not Mac OS, although as reh notes, some software discs have both Mac and Win versions on them. if that's the situation, you're golden. (Unless the Mac version requires OS 9/Classic rather than OSX -- then it's just too old to use on a MacBook/MBPro.)

If not, your possible solutions are:

1. Switch your software by buying new copies/upgrades. (Best, $$$$)
    2. Buy a copy of Windows XP and install it using BootCamp to run your Win programs for now while you switch. (Arguably acceptable to a Mac user, ~$200)
    3. Buy a copy of WinXP and a copy of Parallels to run your Win apps without rebooting. (Slowest, but easiest to get back to MacOS, ~$240-280)
  4. Compatiblepoker macrumors regular

Feb 8, 2006
    Jacksonville Beach
    Good advice here. My suggestion is to go with option 2. A lot of people are fully against windows but it will keep you from getting "stuck" and pissed off if you can't get something to run. Plus it will save you some money long term. Good luck on the switch.
  5. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    Your first two questions have already been answered well--just hope that the particular games and 3D packages you use have Mac versions included (not uncommon, actually), and if they don't you'd probably do best to buy a "transitional" copy of XP Pro to install as an interim solution until you're going to upgrade the apps anyway, at which point you can get the Mac version instead.

You're talking about the UI, not the hardware, so the answer is thus:

As far as "built-in" customizeability, like the Themes in Windows, there is essentailly none. You can rearrange the positions of things to your liking and install all manner of menubar, contextual menu, or dock extras using the methods provided by Apple, but visually Apple doesn't give you much leeway to mess with anything significant.

That said, there are 3rd party programs that provide theming functionality, so if you're so inclined and don't mind the small chance of something not working, you can have your Mac look like almost anything you want.

I and most others seem to find that it looks good enough already that it's not worth messing with, but the option exists if you want.
  6. Zindane thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 4, 2006
    Wow, thanks guys for all the advice. :) About the customization I just wanted to know because I like my computer to look somewhat different that others and I also think that the normal UI is great.

I would probably go with installing WinXP Pro with either BootCamp or Parallels. All I would have to buy would be BootCamp or the Parallels program (if I have to buy it) because I already have a copy of WinXP.

Thanks again for all the help.
  7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
  8. Zindane thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 4, 2006