A few questions....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by DainBramage759, Nov 21, 2004.

1. DainBramage759 macrumors newbie

First off, please forgive me if this isn't the correct board for my questions. i didn't see one specifically for questions, so this is my best guess. Please answer today if at all possible.

Ok, question 1:
    If I wanted to changed my 15gb hard drive out for a bifgger one, how would i go about doing that? How much would it cost?

Quesion 2:
    I recently bought a used Ipod. However, it still has the previous owner's name and phone number on the back. I'd like to have that taken off, and have my name put on it. Or at least have his name and number taken off. Is there any way to do this? If s-how, where, what price?

Thanks for answering these questions. :cool:

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

If you talking about a 15GB iPod, pretty much the only way to get a bigger (or smaller) hard drive is eBay I believe. If you talking about a laptop/desktop, go to some place like newegg.com or tigerdirect.com to get a new hard drive.

As far as I know there is no way to remove anything off the back of an iPod, short of going to eBay and buying a new backing.

3. DainBramage759 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. crackrock macrumors member

crackrock

5. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

His phone number and name are on the back and are laser engraved, apple does this for a small fee, or sometimes free when you get a new ipod. If you want it removed you'll have to buy a new ipod, or find a new backing.

6. DainBramage759 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for answering. Now, if i were to get a new backing, where would a go to get it engraved?

7. DainBramage759 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Hey, just be patient. If people aren't responding, it's because they don't know the answer, or are too lazy to post (that's less likely than the first). I don't personally know where to get your iPod engraved after the purchase, and I've done some limited Google searching. Good luck.
    -Chase

9. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Try a jeweler, I've heard about some of them doing after-market laser engravings.

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Impatient much?

Find something metal. Scrape affected area. Repeat until nothing shows. It's nearly impossible to get any kind of engraving out of metal, THAT'S WHY THEY ENGRAVE IT.

11. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Surely it would be cheaper to buy a brand new iPod with 20 or 40GB than buy an older 15GB version, try to buy a new HD and swap it out, and then get laser engraving done on it?

Apple now offers free engraving on any BTO iPods bought via its online store. And engravings are near impossible to get off - you'd have to "sand it down" to remove it but I'd hate to think of how long this would take or what sort of finish you'd have at the end of it. Again, if you're going to buy a new back for the iPod (if you can find one?), you might as well just go and buy a new iPod.

Another thought: why didn't you buy a 2nd hand iPod with no laser engraving on it?

12. DainBramage759 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can get a new back...

And i had bid $10.50 for one, but I was beaten. :mad:

Plus, iknow where to go to get an engraving for around $20.