A few small things that need fixing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cashel, Nov 30, 2006.

1. cashel macrumors member

I'm new to macs in general, so these problems I'm having are more than likely user error instead of software error. These are the things I need help with fixing though:

1. I'd like to know how to change what program is used to open certain file types. I know I can do "open with" and choose from there, but if I click "always open with" it will open only that document with the program I specified. What I'd like to do is have VLC handle all video types and Pages handle all document types (right now MS Word is doing it and it's really annoying because I only have the trial version)

2. I have a Canon IP4000 printer that works beautifully, however it doesn't have all of the features that it had when I use it in windows. The biggest feature I'm missing is the ability to use double-sided printing. There doesn't seem to be an option to enable this in OS X for this printer.

3. Finally, I'm dual booting windows w/ the latest version of bootcamp. Whenever I boot from one OS to another, the time is always like 7 hours off in either OS, and I have to manually correct it. How can I fix this?

2. CyberPrey macrumors regular

I would love to know this as well...

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

*sigh* Ok you dragged me out to help you.
    1. Get Info on file
    2. Open With:
    3. Select the program from drop down
    4. Change All...
    5. Repeat for other file types
    6. ??????
    7. PROFIT

(Yes, I know there's a preference pane that does this. The name escapes me right now.)

1. File
    2. Print
    3. Click on the bottom dropdown from the print menu.
    4. Layout
    5. Two-Sided

In OS X
    1. System Preferences
    2. Date & Time...
    3. Check the "Set Date & Time automatically:" box

In Windows (from memory)
    1. Control Panel
    2. Date & Time
    3. Internet Time
    4. Turn on internet time synchronization.

If that fails.

http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/

4. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Many people have this time issue with bootcamp. I believe it is because Windows tells the system clock to use the current time of your timezone whereas OSX uses standard UNIX time and offsets it by your timezone. I could be wrong. If I boot windows, come back to OSX and tell it to update time automatically, it doesn't. I have to reset it.