A few things I miss from windows [WHERE can i get them???]

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by atacinus, Dec 21, 2003.

1. atacinus macrumors 6502

i design webpages for a couple of organizations that i.m associated with, and i just switched to the mac...making the graphics for the pages has never been better but trying to code the pages sucks. I.m used to [on a windoze PC] going into internet explorer, looking at the page, hitting edit [note pad opens] i make changes to the code and hit save...refresh the page and look at the changes...I don.t like to use a web editor [either WYSIWYG or strictly code]...i just like to type it into something like notepad and save it...How can i do this on a mac?? i even downloaded internet explorer for mac and it doesn.t have that edit button...if i could click some button in Safari that would open text edit with the source and let me mess with it [because 'view source' is just that...viewing only]...anyone know what i.m after or how to get it? Oh and while i.m at it, i.m also wondering if anyone knows a good free app that will make simple image map coordinates?

Thanks,
    Christien

2. atacinus thread starter macrumors 6502

One other thing I can.t find

i.m using appleworks now whereas on my pc i used word. In word i could CTRL-E to center the text CTRL-L to left align it or CTRL-R to right align it...In appleworks i can.t find a keyboard shortcut and I cannot use the mouse everytime i need to do this [which is quite often as i write screenplays and the format dicates this]. Is there anyway to set this up to do it? and also...the questions from my previous post...thank you all very much..

Christien

3. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

You could use AppleScript to open page source in TextEdit. Here's the best I can come up with:

Save the following AppleScript (With Script Editor) in /Library/Scripts or one of it's subfolders.
    Then, in the AppleScript folder, run the "Install Scripts Menu" application.

This will give you a menu extra with the contents of your scripts folder, and the script above should open the source of the current document in TextEdit.

It's roundabout, I know, but I don't think safari has any way to do this automatically.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

For the question on AppleWorks, the key combinations for alignment are as follows:

Left: Apple-[
    Center: Apple-\
    Right: Apple-]

For editing, I dunno, maybe Apple would introduce that if they got a few requests. Put it in the Safari feature requests and if you can put it in for TextEdit too. Sounds like a great feature.

JW

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

6. atacinus thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions [i.m downloading taco to try it right now] a question about the script suggestion though...i tried it and it works fine to open the source in text edit but how could i save it as an html file? It doesn.t have to save back to the original file, but how can i in either text edit or appleworks et al, tell it to save code as a .html or .htm page instead of a .doc etcetera file?

Thanks,
    Christien

7. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

use a client like Transmit for FTP. You can set it so that when you double click it opens the file in its internal text editor. Every save is then FTP'd back to the server.

8. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

9. atacinus thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome!

both of the editors you guys sent to me replace the need for the edit button on safari [although it would still be nice] so now the only question is about an image map maker...i.ve found a couple, but they want me to shell out 25-50 dollars a piece...TO MAKE IMAGE MAPS! There.s gotta be some freeware that does this..or maybe taco or SubEthnaEdit do it and i just haven.t found it yet. Let me know.

Thanks,
    Christien

10. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I haven't been able to find a freeware image map maker either. It's really a shame.

11. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

will this do?

I havent used it or anything. But it came up in a quick search at versiontracker.com

it's free.