Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebally

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
London, UK
Although I am quite happy with Mac 10.4, there are a few things that I hope Apple will include in the next major release of Mac OS X.

1. Naturally sounding computer voices.

2. True User Interface Independent Resolution. (So that everything still looks the same size on screen, but at a much higher resolution).

3. iCal to show todays date in the dock (without the need to be opened first).

Sirus The Virus

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2005
Texas
Instant Access

What would be cool would be if like in Dashboard when you flip a wiget around for the prefrences, if insted of going to the actual prefrences you could just flip the application around and have instant access to the app's settings, that would be cool. For example your in iTunes and you want to change the ripping format to AIFF all you would have to do is press F13 then bam all you options for everything would be there. You heard it here first.

ebally

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
London, UK
Sirus The Virus said:
What would be cool would be if like in Dashboard when you flip a wiget around for the prefrences, if insted of going to the actual prefrences you could just flip the application around and have instant access to the app's settings, that would be cool. For example your in iTunes and you want to change the ripping format to AIFF all you would have to do is press F13 then bam all you options for everything would be there. You heard it here first.

That's actually a very neat idea.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
I would like to see Window resizing and Gui Speed as fast as it is in windows... Instant.

I mean how can resizing a window cause lag? ****ing OSX....

Other than that I think its really good :D

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
ebally said:
Although I am quite happy with Mac 10.4, there are a few things that I hope Apple will include in the next major release of Mac OS X.

1. Naturally sounding computer voices.

2. True User Interface Independent Resolution. (So that everything still looks the same size on screen, but at a much higher resolution).

1. most natural speech research is for call center phone tree type applications. i think it will be awhile before it actually shows up on a standard user desktops.

2. what it sounds like you asking is you want different windows to have different resolution. i.e. a 2048x1536 and 1024x768 images to look the same size on a monitor fully zoomed out. they would have to invent a new monitor for that to work.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
superbovine said:
1. most natural speech research is for call center phone tree type applications. i think it will be awhile before it actually shows up on a standard user desktops.

2. what it sounds like you asking is you want different windows to have different resolution. i.e. a 2048x1536 and 1024x768 images to look the same size on a monitor fully zoomed out. they would have to invent a new monitor for that to work.

I feel like I'm following you around superbovine, but they wouldn't need a new type of monitor for that. The OS would be able to scale everything using numbers. "If it this is a certain size at this resolution, what size is it at that resolution?" The only thing holding back this technology is going from bitmap to vector, I believe.

I wish the voices sounded a little bit more natural too, especially with VoiceOver being used. Perhaps they could do some internal audio recording and make a really natural sounding voice (an oxymoron, I know). Microsoft has new fonts, woohoo, we have new voices! *Loud applause from audience at WWDC 2006*
-Chase

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Before talking about 10.5 I think there are a number of people out there who have a list of what they would still like to see in 10.4 which is not working for them yet. First things first... ;)

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
rendezvouscp said:
I feel like I'm following you around superbovine, but they wouldn't need a new type of monitor for that. The OS would be able to scale everything using numbers. "If it this is a certain size at this resolution, what size is it at that resolution?" The only thing holding back this technology is going from bitmap to vector, I believe.

I wish the voices sounded a little bit more natural too, especially with VoiceOver being used. Perhaps they could do some internal audio recording and make a really natural sounding voice (an oxymoron, I know). Microsoft has new fonts, woohoo, we have new voices! *Loud applause from audience at WWDC 2006*
-Chase

you can already turn a bitmap into a vector with software. the problem is moniters and video cards base their images on raster graphics which is a bitmap with a set resolution stored in a frame buffer. in a raster system the graphics system takes pixels from the frame buffer and displays them as points on the surface of a display. so in the end the image you see on yoru display is based soley on pixels not vectors which serves no advantage to the hardware.

voice fonts i believe are from a 3rd part voice namely at&t labs which are developing it for phone trees mainly. there however, a desktop verison. you can hear the demo here. it still sounds like a computer.

http://www.naturalvoices.att.com/demos/

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
superbovine said:
you can already turn a bitmap into a vector with software. the problem is moniters and video cards base their images on raster graphics which is a bitmap with a set resolution stored in a frame buffer. in a raster system the graphics system takes pixels from the frame buffer and displays them as points on the surface of a display. so in the end the image you see on your display is based soley on pixels not vectors which serves no advantage to the hardware.

voice fonts i believe are from a 3rd part voice namely at&t labs which are developing it for phone trees mainly. there however, a desktop verison. you can hear the demo here. it still sounds like a computer.

http://www.naturalvoices.att.com/demos/

Wouldn't it be just the video cards, if anything that "needs to be changed?" If the video cards send what needs to be displayed to the monitor, shouldn't the video card, if anything, be the one holding the technology back? Wouldn't the video card be able to translate everything to a position on screen using pixels, even though everything is independent? I'm not trying to be argumentative, so don't take me wrong; I'm just trying to see what Apple's doing in this document.

I've seen that IBM demo before, and while they still sound like a computer since computer's can't get the same "word flow" as humans, they're getting closer!
-Chase

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
rendezvouscp said:
Wouldn't it be just the video cards, if anything that "needs to be changed?" If the video cards send what needs to be displayed to the monitor, shouldn't the video card, if anything, be the one holding the technology back? Wouldn't the video card be able to translate everything to a position on screen using pixels, even though everything is independent? I'm not trying to be argumentative, so don't take me wrong; I'm just trying to see what Apple's doing in this document.

I've seen that IBM demo before, and while they still sound like a computer since computer's can't get the same "word flow" as humans, they're getting closer!
-Chase

I think you need to read up on how a CRT display an image from a video card. they use a "raster" or "pixel" system.

This article will explain it better for you.

http://www.interact-sw.co.uk/iangblog/2005/05/20/tigerresolution

It looks like it just support scaling, so in theory it will same the same about pixel resolution although in the end it will just scaled. apple site is down, so i'll read the rest later.

This might help you with DPI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dpi

dirtymatt

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
superbovine said:
I think you need to read up on how a CRT display an image from a video card. they use a "raster" or "pixel" system.

I think you aren't quite understaning what the OP meant (or at least what I think the OP meant). I think he was asking for the ability to have a 17" monitor that runs at 1024x768, and another 17" monitor that runs at 1600x1200 and have the two displays look identical. Just on the 1600x1200 display everything is smoother due to having more pixels available to draw curves and lines and what not. It sounds like Apple is already moving to this from the "Resolution Independent UI" document that was linked.

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
ebally said:

This isn't something that we should need to wait til 10.5 for.

Then again, that it hasn't done this from the very day it was released is nothing short of bewildering.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
dirtymatt said:
I think you aren't quite understaning what the OP meant (or at least what I think the OP meant). I think he was asking for the ability to have a 17" monitor that runs at 1024x768, and another 17" monitor that runs at 1600x1200 and have the two displays look identical. Just on the 1600x1200 display everything is smoother due to having more pixels available to draw curves and lines and what not. It sounds like Apple is already moving to this from the "Resolution Independent UI" document that was linked.

that what i said, but way differently.

ebally

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
London, UK
dirtymatt said:

That's exactly what I meant. Sorry for not explaining it so eloquently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.