1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

A Forum for Speakers of a Foreign Language?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by appleguy123, Jun 13, 2010.

1. macrumors 603

appleguy123

I notice more and more that a lot of forum posters have English as a (sometimes very rough) second language. Is it possible that we could have a foreign language forum for people to communicate and get help in their native language?

2. macrumors demi-god

skunk

If someone needs help in a language other than English, they only have to ask. There are plenty of linguists here, both cunning and otherwise.

3. macrumors Core

miles01110

I haven't noticed this. Perhaps you could link to the numerous threads that might support your case? Are you also recommending a forum for posters that know English but don't know how to ask an intelligent question? I think that one would be a lot more active.

4. macrumors 603

appleguy123

Haha.
    With a dedicated forum we could more easily reach people that can help those with a different language. However, it would probably make it harder for mods to regulate that forum.

5. JNB
    macrumors 604

JNB

I think that as this is a US-based site, and English is the lingua franca of most business and international trade & industry, creating a completely separate forum/subforum dedicated to a particular other tongue would be problematic and limit the amount of discussion/assistance available, as well as shutting out all others not conversant in the given language.

We have many multi-lingual members, and I know that there have been several posts moved temporarily into a more comfortable language for the newcomer, as well as PM's between members.

6. macrumors 68000

lewis82

IMHO it's not a problem...

I would like this because it would give me opportunities to communicate in french with other mac enthusiasts, not because I am not proficient enough in english.

7. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Here you go.

http://www.macbidouille.com/

8. macrumors 68000

lewis82

I know Macbidouille. I read their news.

But the forums aren't quite as interesting as Macrumors Forums.;)

9. macrumors demi-god

oblomow

True. If someone is really stuck with an english answer, there are plenty of people here can translate it or give more help in their language. I don't like the idea of fragmentation of threads on MR in several languages.

btw Skunk, my wife was asking for a cunning linguist, so I just licked my eyebrows and hurried over...