Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I notice more and more that a lot of forum posters have English as a (sometimes very rough) second language. Is it possible that we could have a foreign language forum for people to communicate and get help in their native language?

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
If someone needs help in a language other than English, they only have to ask. There are plenty of linguists here, both cunning and otherwise.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I notice more and more that a lot of forum posters have English as a (sometimes very rough) second language.

I haven't noticed this. Perhaps you could link to the numerous threads that might support your case? Are you also recommending a forum for posters that know English but don't know how to ask an intelligent question? I think that one would be a lot more active.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
If someone needs help in a language other than English, they only have to ask. There are plenty of linguists here, both cunning and otherwise.

Haha.
With a dedicated forum we could more easily reach people that can help those with a different language. However, it would probably make it harder for mods to regulate that forum.

JNB

macrumors 604
I think that as this is a US-based site, and English is the lingua franca of most business and international trade & industry, creating a completely separate forum/subforum dedicated to a particular other tongue would be problematic and limit the amount of discussion/assistance available, as well as shutting out all others not conversant in the given language.

We have many multi-lingual members, and I know that there have been several posts moved temporarily into a more comfortable language for the newcomer, as well as PM's between members.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands

True. If someone is really stuck with an english answer, there are plenty of people here can translate it or give more help in their language. I don't like the idea of fragmentation of threads on MR in several languages.

btw Skunk, my wife was asking for a cunning linguist, so I just licked my eyebrows and hurried over...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.