A freeware to rip scenes from DVD.(or iMovie/iDVD will do it?)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ImNoSuperMan, May 28, 2006.

1. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

I wud like to copy some parts of a dvd video and create a new DVD-Video with those scenes. I havent tried iMovie or iDVD yet(never had the need). Will I require some other software to rip scenes from DVDs. I dont need any extra feature so I think i`ll do with a freeware only. Please tell me if someone knows which software should I get.

Note: I`ll be copying from the DVDs which I already own. I know it`s illegal to to copy/rip stuff which you dont own.

Note2: No. It`s not for pr0n either:D . I m thinking of making a single DVD which will have the songs from all the movies in my DVD collection.

2. ImNoSuperMan thread starter macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

On second thoughts. I just realized that my MB can run windows too.(Yes, installed XP on my MB 10 days ago. Didnt use it even once in the last 7 days though. I didnt restart the OSX in the last 7 days either:D )
    It will be a pain to go back to winblows again but I think I can do that once in a while if needed. So in case there arent too many freeware OSX Apps for this job then tell me if you know bout some good Windoze freeware.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You can rip the whole DVD using Mac the Ripper or you could use Handbrake to convert it to MPEG4, I imagine then you could use another program to get at specific scenes, FFMPEGX can probably do it but I'm not sure how...

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Actually, it's illegal to copy DVD's that you do legally own. By duplicating any part of a DVD, you are cracking its encryption, which is a violation of US law.

5. ImNoSuperMan thread starter macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Didnt really know that. But its a rather stupid law IMO(BTW no one said the lawmakers are smart). You should have every right to keep a backup copy of the software that you own. These DVDs dont have a long life. They can be easily scratched after you use them a few times. Once they`re scratched, your 20 odd $ are wasted.

Next time I do something like that I`ll make sure all the doors, windows are closed so thet FBI doesnt get a hint what I m doing.:D :D :D :p

Wait a min. I m not in US. I m in India. But then, the law would be the same here I think.

6. NJuul macrumors 6502

Not necessarily, I'm in Denmark, and we can legally copy discs we own for backup, or make more copies of CD's / DVD's for the car, summer house, etc., even if that means breaking the encryption.