A Fresh Start

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Verschoren, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Verschoren macrumors regular

Apr 1, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    At the moment I'm working on a 2003 Powerbook g4.
    For each update of the OS since then my dad has just upgraded every old OS. This means that the PB hasn't been reinstalled since then..

But because the new Ilife is crashing a lot and the system is just getting very very slowly I want to start over with a clean install of OS X.4.4

But I have a few questions:
    1) Installing the OS
    Can I use the instaldisc that came with my father's new Powerbook?
    (edit: I changed the iMac to a Powebook, they both came with Tiger, but the PB seemed more logical t ask..)

2) Backing Up my current setup/files
    Is there a fast way to backup "all" of my preferences and files (e.g. Itunes library, account setup (dashboard and expose-preferences, general user preferences), my mail account, safari prefs)?
    I can use my mothers Imac as a backupdisc.. so is there a way to place all my preferences and mail/safari/etc stuff on my mothers Imac, then reinstall my PB and get it all back?
    In other words: is there a way to make an identical copy of my current account on my newly installed PB and use for instance my mothers Imac as a temporary backup medium?
  2. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

Dec 9, 2005
    I remember that my mom got a panther install disc with her PowerBook, and I used it on my MDD PowerMac. I'm not sure about Tiger install discs though. I think they work.