Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
Aloha OrangeSVTguy,

I have a whole Star Wars kind of thing going on with the Mac side of my network (I have a mixed network, as my brother-in-law only uses PCs and my new G4 hasn't yet completely replaced my wife's PC). My Mac network is:

R2-D2: 20" Core Duo iMac
Qui-Gon Jinn: 15" Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro
C-3PO: iPhone 8GB
Obi Wan Kenobi: MyBook 500GB external HDD
Anakin Skywalker: PowerMac G4 Gigabit Ethernet 2x450 MHz PPC

... and my wireless network is called iWorld. My plan is to also get my brother-in-law to switch from his PCs to Macs, then replace my Linksys WRT54G with a new Time Capsule - of course, I have to bring my wife onboard as well, which will definitely take longer than I want hehehe :D

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Here is an Apple keyboard for you....

Aloha OrangeSVTguy,

I have a whole Star Wars kind of thing going on with the Mac side of my network (I have a mixed network, as my brother-in-law only uses PCs and my new G4 hasn't yet completely replaced my wife's PC). My Mac network is:

R2-D2: 20" Core Duo iMac
Qui-Gon Jinn: 15" Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro
C-3PO: iPhone 8GB
Obi Wan Kenobi: MyBook 500GB external HDD
Anakin Skywalker: PowerMac G4 Gigabit Ethernet 2x450 MHz PPC

... and my wireless network is called iWorld. My plan is to also get my brother-in-law to switch from his PCs to Macs, then replace my Linksys WRT54G with a new Time Capsule - of course, I have to bring my wife onboard as well, which will definitely take longer than I want hehehe :D

Congratulation and a warm welcome to the PowerMac G4 Premium Club.

Just in case if you still need an original Apple G4 keyboard, I would donate one for you for the shipping cost of it. Drop me a line and you'll have it.

I am very happy with my G4 MDD Dual. The best and fastest machine I ever
had. If you want to do things right, get a cheap SATA card and the brand new Raptor 10K HD drive as a boot disk.......
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
Aloha AlexMaximus,

I would take you up on your very kind offer, but I convinced my wife that I really needed the new wired Apple keyboard instead :D I really, really LOVE the new keyboard! The "old" white keyboard that originally came with my iMac is now hooked up to the G4, along with a, gulp, Microsoft mouse. Actually, the only thing I thought that Microsoft did well was their hardware - specifically keyboards and mice.

The computer is a little bit slow on the web, which I'll attribute to the meager CPU and video card I still have, but that issue should be rectified sometime in the (hopefully near) future. I just ordered an internal DVD writer from OWC, and even with the $16 shipping costs, it's still cheaper than the two being sold at Circuit City. We're really having a hard time now, what with CompUSA closing - the Navy Exchange at Pearl Harbor, the Hickam BXtra, Best Buy, and COSTCO all do not carry DVD writers. I guess that us out here in Hawaii will just have to resort to online-only orders. :(

HawaiiMacAddict

honda333

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2008
apple G4 power PC

Hey , I have a G4 power PC just like the one pictured by another individual on this forum. My specs are as follows: 733Mhz, 512mb, 60GIG HD, OS 10.3 Panther. My question, is it true that I can up the RAM to 2.gig, if I am running OS 10.4? Also, I am trying to make it wireless, so that I can tap on to the lynksys router I have down stairs. I don't want to run 100' of Ethernet cord down stairs. Recently, I purchased Hawkings wireless card, it looks kinda like a flash drive. I am sure you know what I'm talking about. Anyway, it wouldn't fit properly into the USB, located on the back of the computer, because the card is a little too wide, it hits the bottom of the edge of trim. My roommate gave me an USB extension so that I could then plug the card into the end of the cord, then the other end into the USB slot....It didn't even light the little LED, little own transmit. The Apple just kept saying that there was not connection. So, my next step was to buy a USB hub, which will be plugged in for more power, because I even tried to plug the wireless adapter into the side of my keyboard, and a window popped up telling me "not enough power." Any one out there, help me!!!

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
Aloha honda333,

You asked two questions, the first about RAM and the second about your USB WiFi device. In that order, here's what I can offer:

1. Yes, as long as your memory is either PC100 or PC133, you can up your RAM to 2GB. I have a Gigabit Ethernet PMG4 (2x 450MHz), but one of the first things I did was to max out the RAM. That's one of the cheapest ways to speed up your computer.

2. The problem is that your WiFi device is USB 2.0 while the ports on your PowerMac is only USB 1.1, a less-powerful version of USB. The best thing for you to do, most likely, is to purchase a 3rd party USB 2.0 card for your computer. They are reasonably cheap and normally have four USB ports on the card. You simply are not getting enough power for your device.

HawaiiMacAddict

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Lucky. I can't think of anything more awesome than scoring a free Mac!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.