A friend just bought a sony

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by adroit, Jun 1, 2006.

1. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

One of my friend just bought a sony VGNS660B for $1600 CAD.

spec (Postal V8R 5G9)

Anyhow, I was trying to tell him how it was such a silly buy, since he can get a MB for $250 CAD less, twice as fast, twice the battery life, and he can still run windows. All he replied was "I don't care." :mad:

I just don't get it. :confused:

Sorry, the post isn't all that important, but I just need to vent.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The MacBook starts at $1250 CAD. Upping the RAM and hard drive to match the Sony brings it to $1550. The Sony has a DVD burner while the MacBook has a combo drive. And he'd still have to acquire a copy of Windows for his MacBook.

I'm not saying I think the Sony is a better deal, but it's not nearly the travesty you make it out to be. Different strokes for different folks.

4. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

If he doesnt care, then you shouldnt care. It's his money so leave it at that.

If everyone had a Mac we would probably be in the same virus boat as the PC users

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

6. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    His loss...

Just make sure you remind him of his choice every time he gets a virus, or a crashed system ect....:p

7. adroit thread starter macrumors 6502

adroit

Good point. He can probably use the XP disc from his old laptop though (I think it is legal if he no longer wants to use the old computer, but do correct me if I am wrong)

Oh well, at least there will be less people having the same computer with me when I pick up a new MB when school starts. ;)

8. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Sony laptops also break...alot. I bought myself a £1500 laptop a couple of years ago. Firstly, it broke within 4 months. Sony were kind enough to take my laptop away from me for THREE MONTHS to fix it. And now just over a year later, it has now broken with exactly the same problem. However, now it is out of warranty. Sony will practically charge me the cost of a new laptop to fix it (if they'd even fix it at all), and all my local computer stores seem to be unable to do anything.

Hence I am now looking towards Apple to act as some sort of saviour.

9. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Apple should have a thing called

"Bring in your PC and get an equivalent Macbook or iMac for 15% off"

10. adroit thread starter macrumors 6502

adroit

UPDATE: I was able to convince my friend to go to an Apple Reseller and try out the MB. He was really impressed with the quality and just ordered a 2.0GHz white MB! :D

I switched a friend. :)

11. iRachel macrumors 6502a

12. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

Whatever. Quality of the Macbook sucks. Nothing but a buggy machine Made in China. I'd take that Made in Japan VAIO S series any day of the week.

13. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I wouldn't. Bloody awful machines. Terrible customer service. Sorry, that's not right; it wasn't terrible. It was non-existant. When you send your machine back to base to be fixed, they take three months to actually fix it.

Far happier with my Macbook than I ever was with my Vaio.

14. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Do you own a MB:rolleyes:

15. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

a friend of mine has been asking me about upgrading to a macbook pro from a sony vaio (top of the line - whatever their most expensive machine is). he said he's sick of the repairs (2 hard drive failures and a USB problem) and he wants the security of a mac which he feels is enhanced by its stunning looks. the software wasn't as much a selling point for him as was the hardware, but i think he'll appreciate the ease of use of apple's software.

meanwhile, i'm still stuck with the thinkpad i got as a graduation gift. i guess i should wait until the MBPs are revised a little more before diving back into the apple pool (i gave my Mac mini to my parents when I left for college).

16. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

:confused: my macbook hasnt given me a single problem, its perfect and performs amazingly. there are lots of people that have had perfect machines and if you havent noticed, the threads about people's macbooks being messed up almost always end up with it being replaced by a perfect machine.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

People have unreasonable responses to things in life ...

"I don't like Ford/Wal-Mart/mobile homes/KY Jelly/wearing a thong/etc."

Personally the rest of us don't care. They think we do, but we really don't.

18. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Have to say the Sony is a better machine than a Macbook. Not an MBP maybe in terms of connectivity, but my S2XP which was the first of the S-types is better built and is a more 'professional' machine than the Macbook.

Undoubtedly as a working environment Macbook + OSX is better, but compared purely machine vs machine the Sony is a significantly better machine.

However, terrible customer service is right. Even the **** Applecare is better. Thing is though, Sonys hardly ever go wrong...

19. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

They do in my experience. My Sony craptop died with exactly the same problem twice. I had numerous dead pixels on each machine they sent me. It was also very loud. Huge gaps around the screen into which all sorts could fall.

I don't mind paying premium for good quality (like I have done with Apple). And that's what I thought I was with Sony. But they really don't know how to build computers. They only know how to charge God's green Earth for them.

20. jdechko macrumors 68040

I have a VAIO and I've had to send it in twice. 1st time, the HD crapped out, and the second was related to the first: the Backspace key fell off and it took them 2 weeks to get it back to me (why couldn't they send me the key?)

(What's wrong with Wal-Mart and KY?)

21. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I've owned at least 12 VAIO's (desk and laptop) since '00 and I've had about the same number of failure incidents on those as I've had with my Intel Apples in the ~4 months since I've truly switched (iMac DOA, iMac fail (x2), Macbook fail (still being turned around), Macbook Pro PSU fail (x2 in rapid succession) ). Even just the way they're built (unless you're comparing an entry-level VAIO with a midrange Mac) I'd say the Sony has the edge.

22. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

In general you cannot transfer any Windows license that was shipped with a PC (typically referrred to as OEM licenses). These are bound to the machine they shipped with and die with the machine.

If the XP license was bought retail, or under a volume license, you generally can transfer it.

B

23. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Well said, and I know. I have the "big sister" to that model... or I should say HAD. I gave it to my assistant to take an online networking class. I told her to keep it because.... WOOF!
    So like an idiot I bought an X41 IBM tablet. WOOF-WOOF!

Honest to god the fraud perpetrated on the gullible American public.