Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d wade

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
this may be old as all hell... buuut...

A pilot is flying a small, single-engine, charter plane with a couple of really important executives on board into Seattle airport. There is fog so thick that visibility is 40 feet, and his instruments are out. He circles looking for a landmark and after an hour, he is low on fuel and his passengers are very nervous. At last, through a small opening in the fog he sees a tall building with one guy working alone on the fifth floor.

Circling, the pilot banks and shouts through his open window: "Hey, where am I?". The solitary office worker replies: "You're in an airplane.". The pilot immediately executes a swift 275 degree turn and executes a perfect blind landing on the airport's runway five miles away. Just as the plane stops, the engines cough and die from lack of fuel.

The stunned passengers ask the pilot how he did it. "Elementary," replies the pilot, "I asked the guy in that building a simple question. The answer he gave me was 100% correct but absolutely useless; therefore, I knew that must be Microsoft's support office and from there the airport is three minutes away on a course of 87 degrees."

:D

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
Hilarious.

I do, however, have to point out that 87 + 275 does not equal 360. :D :p

I'm assuming the heading wasn't 0.

EDIT Read the white if you want; it proves I'm not as stupid as you first thought.

musicalmcs8706

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
It's great! I showed it to one of my friends whose sister's financee works for Microsoft. She didn't like it very much. Wonder why.......:p :D :eek: :D

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
asherman13 said:
Hilarious.

I do, however, have to point out that 87 + 275 does not equal 360. :D :p

I'm assuming the heading wasn't 0.

EDIT Read the white if you want; it proves I'm not as stupid as you first thought.

Obviously you are not a pilot.:p And I read the white. But 360 has nothing to do with it, I can make a 725 degree turn to the left and be 5 degrees less heading than when I started.

If the pilot in the joke was on a heading of 172 degrees and made a 275 degree right turn his heading would be 87 degrees, or on a heading of 002 and made a 275 degree left turn his heading would be 87 degrees. More importantly SEA (Seattle-Tacoma Intl) doesn't have a present runway on that heading. They correspond to approx 161 degrees and 341 degrees. They may have been refering to a different local airport that I am not bothering to find!:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.