a G4 eMac.. 500$?

Discussion in 'Mac Scene' started by bryantm3, Jan 24, 2004.

1. bryantm3 macrumors regular

once they come out with the g5 emacs, if they do, could they possibly keep making the older g4's and sell them for $400-$750?
    i haven't been able to afford a mac, and a price range such as this would probably mean a great profit for users that are, well, poor.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Probably not, or you'd see Chevrolet selling the old generation Corvettes for the price of a Chevette. Just so poor people could afford a fast car.

Doubtful there is enough margin in the eMac for Apple shave $500 out of the price and still make money.

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Would also be nice if they had a $250 15" LCD and a $99 CRT monitor.

But Apple has always walked away from the low margin product -- though the $650-$699 eMacs for education are reaching down quite a bit.

Basically there isn't enough margin in the low end for Apple to sell there -- it's basically a loss-leader and/or break even (if they're lucky) product for the likes of a lot of other companies.

5. bryantm3 thread starter macrumors regular

actually, the emacs for education (seeing as my dad is a teacher) are 750$ for a baseline emac. the 600$ ones are only for mass purchases for educational facilities

6. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

ya, i guess PC stores can afford to sell cut price Windows machines in bulk, as they will sell tonnes, but Apple can't really sell as fast. Yet, if their machines were as cheap as Windows machines, then they would have more of a share of the market.

7. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

They still make a profit from the sales of eMacs. Even if they cut the price a bit and just broke even they would still make money off of peripherals, software, and future computer sales. Why not pursue market share aggressively?