A G4 powerbook isnt faster than centrino 1.7 ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Makyz, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Makyz macrumors newbie

Oct 11, 2003
    I was always under the impression that it was...
    does anyone have any statistics?

What does the G4 have over the centrino?

I was ready to buy confident that my little G4 15" powerbook would be top of the line notebook for its weight size,

arg i hate indeicisions?

anything anyone can say to mkae me feel better, arg
  2. snowdropper macrumors newbie

Oct 19, 2003
    Re: A G4 powerbook isnt faster than centrino 1.7 ?

3. macrumors12345 macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2003
    Re: A G4 powerbook isnt faster than centrino 1.7 ?

What are you going to use it for, and what Centrino notebook are you comparing it to (you have to be specific)? The G4 is faster at some things, the Centrino is faster at others. Neither one will win every single benchmark.

However, both are quite fast. Unless you are doing Photoshop or Lightwave or something like that for a living, you probably shouldn't worry too much about the merits of one versus the other, since both will be more than quick enough to meet your needs. The software difference will be more important. If you prefer Mac OS X, definitely go with the PB 15". If you prefer Win XP, then get the Centrino.

Both machines are "top of the line" in their respective niches.
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    If you want to buy something for "bragging rights," then you'd probably be better off with an Alienware Laptop or some other "mobile desktop".

If you want a decent laptop, then you buy the PowerBook, and stop worrying about who has the best machine.

Though there are those who still search out the IBM ThinkPads, after tying the others.
  5. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, Ca
    What exactly made you unsure that the G4 PB *isn't* faster than the 1.7 Centrino?
  6. Noc macrumors newbie

Jul 17, 2002
    The Centrino is certainly faster. Better battery life too. :(

You have to ask yourself how important is "being the fastest". People generally don't buy Macs to be the fastest (unless it's the Dual 2Ghz G5! :) ). People buy them for stability, usability, productivity, style, freedom from Microsoft licensing, and because hey, "It just works".
  7. Makyz thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 11, 2003
    The thread linked above... http://forums.macrumors.com/showthr...&threadid=41661

Well the thing is that Im paying 2300 for a G4 powerbook, thats alot of cash- I guess I wanted the best

im probably still going to order the G4 and test it out with a buddy's 1.7 centrino, and see how far behind it really is then il decide to see if its worth or Iif I should just return it

It not so much bragging rights its just I want my laptop not to be outdated too soon, I want it to last and be able to keep upw tih new products that come out for at least a while

if its faster it can achieve this better

and also te battery life im on the move alot and i need a good 3 -4 hours on my laptop, im gonna see if it works with the 15in powerbook, it really disturbs me that the centrino is faster and lasts longer... bah
  8. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

Dec 15, 2002
    If you want it to last a long time, get a mac. Even though it may seem the centrino is faster now, the nature of PC's and Mac's make macs last a lot longer. There are people perfectly happy with the origonal imac. People using a PC from back then would be tearing there hair out.
  9. markiv810 macrumors regular

Sep 27, 2002
    in Limbo
    If you are worried about your laptop getting outdated, I think PowerBook would be a better choice then, as PC's (both laptops and desktops) get outdated faster than a mac desktop or laptop
  10. thekaiser macrumors member

Dec 16, 2002
    Huntington Beach, CA
    The PowerBooks have incredible resale value, especially on Ebay. The original 400MHz Titanium still goes for between $700-$1000 dollars. That is incredible for a laptop that is that old. Imagine what a PC laptop that old would go for...I doubt you would even find people still wanting one. I just ordered a new 15", and I know that it may not be the fastest out there, but I guarantee I can get more work done in a shorter period of time than my friends with Wintel laptops. They can hardly believe the things I can do on my iMac. Let alone a portable version of roughly the same machine. I don't think you can go wrong with the PowerBook.
  11. Robertk2012 macrumors regular

Sep 3, 2003
    Just so everyone knows why macs maintain their value. Pc's lose theirs because of there inability to run microsofts bloatware. Each version of windows is larger and slower while as can be seen with os X each version gets faster. You have to decide if you want to buy one mac in the the same period of time you would have to buy 2 or 3 pc's due to the inabilty to run software or because it just flat out died
  12. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    Re: Re: A G4 powerbook isnt faster than centrino 1.7 ?

13. macrumors12345 macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2003
    Re: Re: Re: A G4 powerbook isnt faster than centrino 1.7 ?

Bet the G4 runs iTunes faster. That's cross platform. :D
  14. neeotronik macrumors newbie

Oct 20, 2003
    I'd go for a sony vaio; I've owned the powerbook g4 with jaguar for two years and was very disappointed when it came to pro audio.
    I use Sonic Foundry's apps; all of them professionally and they are blazin on windows xp pro/also win 2000. Reason is fantastic on it too.

Dude go to a best buy and demo both the powerbook and a p4 sony vaio.

Ipod (damn; u got me there)

there's give and take.
    Good Luck
  15. i_wolf macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    but isn't this a faster version of the G4 not just in terms of MHz... like doesn't this have architectural improvements, a faster bus, ddr memory and double the L2 at full speed????
    I would have thought that sonic foundry would run extremely fast.. could it have been ram limitations of your app.... how fast is your powerbook.....
    Is sonic foundry well optimized for altivec...
    One of the guys in another forum told me that altivec is the key to getting the powerbook to perform like a P4 2.8 instead of a P4 2.2 equivalent.
    Having said that protools runs much faster and smoother on a mac, having seen first hand. Must depend on optimization and ram.
    Incidentally will panther provide much performance improvments (altivec usage etc...) over jaguar, or is it really only going to benefit G5 owners???
  16. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    Re: Re: Re: Re: A G4 powerbook isnt faster than centrino 1.7 ?

actually i dont know, itunes is pretty zippy on my pc. but i think both my mac and pc are so fast that itunes performs its highest.

17. macrumors12345 macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2003
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A G4 powerbook isnt faster than centrino 1.7 ?

Well, yes, even an iBook 500 is more than sufficient for playback. I am talking about peak encoding rates and visualizations (fps).
  18. VIREBEL661 macrumors regular

Feb 24, 2003
    I gotta agree.. They just have much more life in them. Even my 6200 from 1995 runs 9.1 just fine - and with an Ethernet card, works great for email and internet. Burn CD's on it all the time - still can do a lot of work on it.
  19. VIREBEL661 macrumors regular

Feb 24, 2003
    What about a 17" PB??? That seems like a bragging rights computer to me!
  20. SubGothius macrumors member

Apr 29, 2003
    Tucson, AZ

A nitro-burning funnycar is certainly "faster" than a family sedan or even a high-performance street-legal sportscar, but I wouldn't wanna have to rely on one to commute to work/school or go shopping, nevermind chauffeuring a load of friends or family around town...

Unless yr doin' the computing equivalent of dragstrip runs (i.e., heavy-duty number crunching or pro-level media manipulation), the Mac will be just as usably fast as the PC, perhaps moreso in terms of actually accomplishing real-world objectives; the Mac GUI is simply designed to be much more intuitive and, thus, efficient -- it "gets outta your way" and lets you get on with actually using the computer to do things instead of wasting time (and idle clock cycles %^) whilst troubleshooting and jumping thru hoops to figure out how to make it do what you want, followed by more hoops to actually do that and see if it works as expected... "It just works" has become a Mac cliche by now, and for good reason -- it's the simple truth.

As for longevity, I've still got my PowerMacintosh 7200/75 (as in, a whopping 75MHz -- w00t, baby! %^), which is now ~8 years old, still operatng perfectly, and still perfectly usable for general-purpose and light production use (email, web, school-/office-type stuff, jukebox), and I've only ever upgraded it by adding RAM, VRAM, a Cache stick, and a second, bigger drive (note that all the original eqpt. is still in place, just augmented with newer additions).

Don't s'pose youv'e seen many, oh, Pentium 90s around lately that are still in good shape with OEM equipment, and which are still regularly usable? Rest assured, you can and perhaps will keep using your Mac long after your PC-using friends will have chucked and replaced a PC or two or three...
  21. i_wolf macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    but the point really is.... people are harping on about windows being the prob... bottom line is that a windows user is not limited to windows. Linux is a very viable option now. Manufacturers like Mandrake and Redhat etc... make installing linux as easy as well installing windows :S . Again they don't crash and the interface like KDE 3.1 is just as nice to my eyes and easy to use as say Aqua.... if you dont like that go get Ximian desktop which is also pretty cool ina minimalistic kinda way. Running linux on an x86 will allow you to do the same thing... get on with your work and forget about fighting the machine... at least my desktop linux allows me to do that (however i like messy stuff and getting nit picky so i went gentoo ;) ) . Point is i think what the poster is looking for is something that will do some number crunching for him. Will a powerbook do numbercrunching as well as an equivalent centrino laptop asssuming both are as optimized as each other. Altivec for G4, and SSE2 for centrino???
  22. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    If you hate to mess with windows, why would you ever go to linux?

Anyways, your PowerBook, although not as fast when comparing megahertz, can still get quite a bit done. It really depends on what you're doing, but a 1.7ghz centrino won't be a whole lot faster...

Besides, the 15" PowerBook owns any centrino laptop when it comes to durability and style. I'd rather have my DVD-burning, aluminum 12" PowerBook than a magazine thin centrino laptop.

Some other things to consider- the PowerBook has gigabit ethernet, Radeon 9600 graphics (which contributes to shorter battery life in the PowerBook, but way better graphics than what you'll find in a 5-hour battery life centrino), a wide screen display, built in bluetooth (not sure if all centrino laptops have this), FireWire 800, and you can get a superdrive and a backlit keyboard. Things you won't normally find on any centrino laptop. And Apple has put it all in a beautiful package that doesn't weigh much, and is barely over an inch thick.

Now, I'm curious as to what you are going to use this computer for, to determine which computer would be better. If you're just playing games, surfing the net, and using office, an el-cheapo p4 laptop would do just fine. If you're playing games, you don't want a centrino. If you're making movies or doing almost anything productive, you'd want the PowerBook. The only reason I'd go with the centrino is if I couldn't stand the extra pound or two the PowerBook has. Besides, centrino is just intel's name for "I use wi-fi", which is pretty stupid, but hey, it's intel, what do you expect?
  23. nickdtm macrumors newbie

Sep 30, 2003
    As much as I love my new 1.25 PB (1GB RAM), I swear it's slower than my old 1.6 Celeron laptop with 1GB RAM. I'm hoping it's just Jaguar. We'll see how it changes when I upgrade to Panther.
  24. stetsows macrumors newbie

Oct 21, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    what are the main uses.

As a PowerBook G3 owner it's difficult to make recommendation based on you info. First off what are the main uses SOHO, gaming, graphics, other? Do you need WiFi? Are you thinking desktop replacement or mobility? If your just looking for something to type out a letter or send an e-mail either will be adequate. If your looking for mobility look primarily then look at weight and battery life. Definitely look hard at weight if your planning on travelling with it. My PB weighs about 7-8 pounds I didn't think much about that at the time but after having lugged it through airports several times I wish it weighed a bit less. Also remember if you decide to go with a PC Centrino isn't a processor it's intel marketing. The processor is a Pentium M. Intel only allows the Centrino label if the manufacturer uses Intel's WiFi and special chipset which does NOT support firewire. For more info check out techtv's article http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/products/story/0,24330,3420531,00.html
    Hope my rant gave you something to think about.