A game for Mum & Dad!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Henri Gaudier, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

My Mum & Dad have finally bought a computer (An iBook and they are loving it.) To keep them encouraged I thought about getting them a game to play but which ..? Can anyone recommend a game that would appeal to both sexes and to people in their 60's? I don't play games myself so I've no idea what's out there. Shoot 'em ups are out and so too are cerebral games like Myst. Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    My mother is hooked on the Su Doku widgets that are out there... and of course, Freecell for the Mac. The puzzle ones that you can start and then leave for a while tend to work best - she tried some of the continuous games (Tetris like) but got bored too easily. It's solving the puzzle rather than getting high scores she enjoys.

3. durvivor macrumors member

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Can never go wrong with a good game of Solitaire. This particular version is pretty cool.

5. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

Well, my dads 62ish and he plays UT2004 etc. and is trying WoW at the mo'

However electronics is what he does, and hes very computer literate :cool:

Anyway, for people not so hot with computers, card games etc. are always a good intro to the world of computer games, as they will most likely be familiar with the rules, its just a case of getting into the playing on a computer thing, after that the skys the limit depending on how they get one :D

6. benbondu macrumors regular

My parents are pretty old. The only game they like is Snood. (snood.com) They have a PC but a mac version is available. I'd have to say I like it a lot too. Not enough to buy it, but I like it nevertheless.

It's a computer port of the highly popular playstation game Bust-a-move, but you probably wouldn't know that one either I'd imagine. Download the demo. If you like it, I think the price is pretty reasonable. About $20 if I remember right.

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

A very nice looking game risc. I am going to have to download this one- thanks. :)

8. Henri Gaudier thread starter macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Keep 'em coming!

Mmm I'm not to sure about the recomendations so far. They all seem a bit primative, Atari-like. What I was hoping for was something like an adventure game in which they could lose themselves. Like Monkey Island, nice graphics, but only more logical this time*. Are there any Agatha Christie/Sam Spade who dunnits? Thanks.

*(In order to progress, some of the things necessary to have done/discovered were so ridiculous and random that no one could have reasonably solved them)

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

There's a CSI one, I know. Have you asked your parents if they want an 'immersion' type game? I suspect the reason for the 'primitive' suggestions is that some of us have tried buying/getting platform/other world games for the 'rents, only to find that they have no interest in playing them in that detail. That was certainly my reason.

Would they like something like the Sims or Sim City? That might be entertaining since they can achieve basics without having to spend a lot of time.

10. Henri Gaudier thread starter macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Good points Applespider. No I haven't asked them what they would like. I'm trying to keep them enthused in their computer and I want them to see what it can do - watching DVD's, video phone (we live in different countries) exciting games, that kind if thing. In this spirit I bought them a Digital Camera which amazed them - instant access to shots & slide shows in iPhoto rather than sending of a roll of film and waiting.

I take the point about keeping up interest and thats why I was after an adventure recommendation with a traditional concept - whodunnit - rather than car jacking or slaughtering aliens. Equally, playing card games on a computer would strike them as nonsense. An electronic €1200 pack of cards!! Cheers Applespider.

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Show them how to make up books in iPhoto. I gave a book to my mother for her birthday which she loved so much that she went off to buy a scanner for her old photos so that she could create some books of her own.

12. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Try "Wordwits" and

"Macnetic memory", a slick german shareware concentration game.

Free on macgamefiles

you could also try chessmaster 9000. They'd get a real kick out of the graphics and might consider taking up chess to stay sharp.

SHANGHAI is an all-time favorite guaranteed to please both sexes.

Gooball (like Monkeyball) if they have any reflexes.

How about setting them up with macmame and pacman/ms. pacman.

13. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

Snood

My parents are both in their 40s and love it :)

It's free too I believe.

allison.

14. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Is there a game like Bejeweled? Thanks

15. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

16. Xenious macrumors 6502a

Damn I got all excited the first time I read this as "A very nice looking game, Risk." The I realized it said "risc" and that it was a user name.

Anyone know of a version of Risk (board game strategy) for the Mac?

17. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

While I agree that Halo is an awesome game....

...Henri Gaudier said that shoot 'em up games are out. :eek:

Too bad, because my Dad (in his mid 40's) loves Halo I & II. :)

18. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sorry about the misleading post Xenious.

Not sure about "risk" for Mac but I did have for PeeCee. Good game. :)
    Although, I am sure that it is out there.

19. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

20. Henri Gaudier thread starter macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Great Idea

Risk was a favourite in our house when I was young. Although I think it was called Campaign here.

Thanks to everyone who contributed. iConquer will hopefully be much appreciated by my folks. Shame there isn't an iBogart game.

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Amazingly, the site doesn't actually seem to say what sort of game it is! So, what is it?