A GarageBand for PC!?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fille1000, Apr 12, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi!
    My friend has GarageBand on his MAC and I absolutely love it! It's exactly the software I need! The problem is that I have a PC and I cant seem to find any software like it. I've tried ACID, fruityloops, Cubase, but everyone of those lacks the simplicity that GarageBand has. So, does anyone have an idea of what I should get?

2. macrumors 6502

3. macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

HA!!! so very true...

thats the thing... pc users miss out on the high quality of apple software... they snuff apple computers at every turn and then ask for pc equivelants of superior software...

just get the superior hardware and you wont have to worry about getting superior software...

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, but unfortunately I dont have the money to buy it...
    So please give me a name of a software please.... a serious answer

5. macrumors 68040

jxyama

i really don't think there are any... what usually happens is that apple comes up with pretty cutting edge, one of a kind software and PC vendors emulate them... considering GB just came out, i think it could be a while before something like it would be "ported."

apple tries hard to sell iLife for this very reason - because software in it are unlike what's commonly available for Windows - and the only way to get them is to get a Mac...

6. macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Let's see, Reaktor and Reason a far superior than Grageband, but the learning curve is a bit steaper. I'm surprised you like GB more than Fruity Loops, it is just as easy to use and is much better. What exactly are you looking for? Don't get me wrong guys, GB is nice, but it's not that good.

7. macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

8. macrumors 6502

Sorry man, I just couldn't resist. On a more serious note, check out the demo for Ableton Live, might do the trick, but it ain't exactly free (or the $50 for iLife for that matter).

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Well FuityLoops isnt able to record from the mic or line-in, GB is.
    The thing is I want to record my own guitar and voice and stuff, and then play it with various finished samples.. something like that.
    Acid is pretty close, but I hate the way it looks and the way you "paint" on the loops, bluäh!

10. macrumors 6502

At the MacWorld Expo keynote speech when he introduced GarageBand, Steve Jobs said the closest thing to it on the PC is a program called Cakewalk Home Studio, which sells for $80-130.

I thought that was a charitable remark for him to make.

GarageBand is fun, but it's only the beginning of cool software that runs on the Mac.

Crikey

11. macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

try getting one (a Mac, of course) on eBay. sell your pc (if it is worth something *joke*) and save for a Mac.

if you are true to your desire to use GarageBand, then follow this advice.

12. macrumors 68000

tjwett

13. macrumors 68020

There are several different versions of Cakewalk, with slightly differing names. Some of them are extremely limited, some of them are extremely expensive; but yes, that is the closest thing on the PC side. Note that the cheaper versions may not include ANY software synths. Be very careful.

14. macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

GarageBand is the first of its kind, much like iMovie was. There are products that approximate it but not with the same ease of use. In time PC companies will inevitably try and copy it, as they always do, but you'll have to wait and most likely it won't be as good.

Since you are tight on funds gettting a Mac isn't an option for you right now, but if you really like what you see you should consider it as a future option. Good luck in the meantime.

15. macrumors regular

Steinberg sells Cubase SX 2 for $799.99
    An entry level eMac costs $799.99 (no discount) with iLife 04 installed.

Why are you complaining you can't afford a Mac?

Not only would you get the software you love, you'd also get a great piece of hardware.

16. thread starter macrumors newbie

Well Im not gonna buy a MAC, at least not until I move out....
    Thanks for all the answers by the way, Ill check out the Home Sudio, havn't noticed that one before. Thanks!
    /Filip

17. macrumors member

Guitar Pro almost the same thing just not as pretty. It's not just guitar either a friend of mine has it and does everything on it.

http://www.guitar-pro.com/

18. macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    Mac not MAC. hehe

19. macrumors 65816

perhaps you'd like to buy it for him? Garage Band is a bit underpowered compared to Cubase.

20. macrumors 68000

Squire

I know it's something completely different, but have you tried the Line 6 Guitar Port? Now there's something I'd like to have that's offered to PC users but not available on the Mac.

Squire

21. macrumors 6502

I thought Windows had millions upon millions of software titles available. Certainly there must be something available that is as good as GarageBand for free! :D

22. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

...is nothing like Garageband.

I love Live, but come on, recommending it to someone who's looking for a Garageband type app is just wrong.

23. macrumors 6502a

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read.

CubaseSX2 does way, way, way more than GarageBand. It also comes with a steeper learning curve.

To put it in Apple-speak, this is like comparing FCP HD (== CubaseSX2) and iMovie (== GarageBand.) Do you see the flaw in your logic (pun intended) now??

24. macrumors 601

BornAgainMac

I feel Windows is for playing content, not creating it. I don't know any PC users that do anything creative or create anything. Windows probably isn't for you if you are interested in creating music.

25. macrumors newbie

Lacking creativity?

It is quite humerous to watch some Mac users who are so religious about Macintosh. Some of us out there shouldn't need to get an Ilife or buy a Macintosh to enjoy a program like Garageband. It would be one thing if low-end Macs were in the $300 to $500 price range, but when you are saying that $800 (or thereabouts) is a deal I have to laugh.

If Apple doesn't appeal to PC users with Garageband, someone else will with something as useful. Given some time and study, I think I could maybe come up with something in the spirit of Garageband, with a few additional things that I as a keyboard player and programmer would like to add.

I wouldn't so quickly discount the millions of PC users and claim that they don't do anything creative. If you really believe that, I'll leave you worshipping at the shrine of Apple and I'll be laughing on my way to the bank.

Dan