A General Observation on Laptop Bags

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by greenguy4, Apr 23, 2005.

1. greenguy4 macrumors 6502

Jan 2, 2005
    So I've been looking around a lot for a new bag for my 14'' iBook and what I've noticed is a lot of them are made for a 15'' PB. Their doesn't seem to be a lot of bags/sleeves made for the 14'' screen and I can't figure out why. Is their a company that specializes in them or this an untapped market?

Oh ya I also meant to ask if their were any companies that made bags for 14 inchers that you reccomended. I like Booq and I'm probably going to wait for their 14'' sleeve to come out (if that ever happens)!
  2. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Jan 24, 2004
    East Lansing, MI
    I'm partial to timbuk2. I have 2 sleeves (15" TiBook, 12" iBook) which both fit perfectly.

However, they do not make a specific sleeve for the 12" powerbook. They recommend the sleeve for the 12" iBook and there is a little room in there. I would assume the same thing goes for your 14" iBook. It is difficult to find perfect matches in the sleeve department when you get into oddball sizes. I think the 14" falls into this category as does the 12" powerbook (because it is smaller than a 12" iBook).

For companies, it is all about demand. I called timbuk2 when the 12" PB came out and asked if they made a specific sleeve. They replied no but would in the future if demand was high.

On the whole, I'd search around these forums for "sleeve" and what-not. There has been a lot of discussion/recommendations already. Seems like everybody has their own fave company.

You should be able to find somebody who has a sleeve/bag/protection device for your 14-incher. :D
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    As far as sleeves go, Tucano makes separate sleeves for the iBook 14" (BF-N-L14) and PBook 15" (BF-N-L15G4). They also make separate ones for the iBook 12" and PBook 12". I have the iBook 12" sleeve and the conformance to the iBook is excellent. :)

Backpacks and cases, I can't help ya with...I have a backpack from Samsonite that fits my iBook very closely, which I actually bought before I envisioned the iBook, by dumb luck.... :rolleyes:
  4. mfacey macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2004
    I just recently ordered a Brenthaven Fusion Flex for my upcoming powerbook 15 inch. As far as I understood, this bag has an adjustable sleeve inside that fits the 14" ibook as well as the 15 inch powerbook.

Check it out! www.brenthaven.com

Edit: oh and yes, apple charges a fortune for it. I got for just under $110 including shipping from www.megamacs.com