A General Observation on Laptop Bags

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by greenguy4, Apr 23, 2005.

1. greenguy4 macrumors 6502

So I've been looking around a lot for a new bag for my 14'' iBook and what I've noticed is a lot of them are made for a 15'' PB. Their doesn't seem to be a lot of bags/sleeves made for the 14'' screen and I can't figure out why. Is their a company that specializes in them or this an untapped market?

Oh ya I also meant to ask if their were any companies that made bags for 14 inchers that you reccomended. I like Booq and I'm probably going to wait for their 14'' sleeve to come out (if that ever happens)!

2. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

I'm partial to timbuk2. I have 2 sleeves (15" TiBook, 12" iBook) which both fit perfectly.

However, they do not make a specific sleeve for the 12" powerbook. They recommend the sleeve for the 12" iBook and there is a little room in there. I would assume the same thing goes for your 14" iBook. It is difficult to find perfect matches in the sleeve department when you get into oddball sizes. I think the 14" falls into this category as does the 12" powerbook (because it is smaller than a 12" iBook).

For companies, it is all about demand. I called timbuk2 when the 12" PB came out and asked if they made a specific sleeve. They replied no but would in the future if demand was high.

On the whole, I'd search around these forums for "sleeve" and what-not. There has been a lot of discussion/recommendations already. Seems like everybody has their own fave company.

You should be able to find somebody who has a sleeve/bag/protection device for your 14-incher. :D

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

As far as sleeves go, Tucano makes separate sleeves for the iBook 14" (BF-N-L14) and PBook 15" (BF-N-L15G4). They also make separate ones for the iBook 12" and PBook 12". I have the iBook 12" sleeve and the conformance to the iBook is excellent. :)

Backpacks and cases, I can't help ya with...I have a backpack from Samsonite that fits my iBook very closely, which I actually bought before I envisioned the iBook, by dumb luck.... :rolleyes:

4. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I just recently ordered a Brenthaven Fusion Flex for my upcoming powerbook 15 inch. As far as I understood, this bag has an adjustable sleeve inside that fits the 14" ibook as well as the 15 inch powerbook.

Check it out! www.brenthaven.com

Edit: oh and yes, apple charges a fortune for it. I got for just under $110 including shipping from www.megamacs.com