A good email client?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nagasing, Jul 10, 2005.

1. nagasing macrumors member

What's a good email client? Not too advanced, just an alternative to Mail. Includes Spam blocking.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Eudora?

Any particular reason you don't want to use Mail?
    That might help in recommendations.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Entourage, if you have Office. Although I'm a Mail user so I'm probably the wrong person to ask in the first place. :eek:

4. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

I just recently switched web hosts and they include all kinds of spam blocking at the server level. i barely get any spam, and all spam now has "SPAM" in the title because it didn't quite "qualify" to be shot in the ass before it got to me. I would definitely recommend that you look for a good email provider with spam assassin and other great services like it. i just turned junk filtering off in mail now since i never even need it lol.

As for other apps. I like Thunderbird. I just use Mail.app though. smart mailboxes and the searching in Tiger just rules. I couldn't live without it now that i've got it.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Read today's thread about Entourage before getting too enthusiastic about the MS product. Allow me to second MacDawg's question to nagasing. It would be of enormous help if we knew why he wants an alternative to Mail. There are several. Many people swear by Mozilla's Thunderbird. You will probably do well to look here and there.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, thanks, good call. I literally saw that straight after making my commendation. :eek:

Can I take it back?

7. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I used Entourage back in OS 9 days, but in keeping with the article, I dropped it after OS X (even MacOffice2004 wouldn't do it). I'm going to take a look at Thunderbird, but Mail works fine.
    X

8. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Mail is the way to go. Any reason why you need an alternative?

9. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Yeah I do that too.. but I use mail and set it to delete the message instantly if it has the spam header AND mail thinks it is junk.. works well for me =)

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I'll second MacDawg...I've used Eudora for almost ten years now on both Wintel and Mac and have always been happy with it.

11. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

Mozilla Thunderbird

Try Mozilla Thunderbird (from http://www.mozilla.org) - it's a pretty good client that provides a great spam filter.

12. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

well, i couldn't find anything better so i revived this old thread:

i want two mail apps on my computer:

one for my important mail accounts, private and business. that would be mail.

then i want a second one for my spam email accounts like hotmail and yahoo and such. it would keep my important mail app clean.

is there a simple cheap email client out there that works with google, hotmail/live and yahoo?

13. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Thunderbird can do all that, not sure about Hotmail though. You can separate out accounts in Mail.

14. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Just use Mail with separate accounts. Keeps the main accounts clean but saves you having to use two separate email clients.

15. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

16. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

well i could of course work with multiple accounts. but right now i have 4 accounts and it gets already somehow messy. where are my deleted mails and all that. i know it can be done. but for me there are two entirely separate things: my important accounts and my spam accounts. i have already my private and work related accounts in one program.

i would really like to have a second entirely different app that handles my spam accounts and that i check once a week or so.

can mail handle yahoo and live.com mail accounts? i'm not very savvy with this. seems it will be easier to include the accounts into mail after all.

17. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

mathcolo

I've heard very good things about Thunderbird but continue to use Mail because of Thunderbird's horrible UI on Mac OS X.

18. Commodore macrumors member

I don't think you get IMAP or POP with Yahoo or Live mail accounts, unless you pay. Why can't you just check them online, especially if you only check them once a week?