A good reason not to buy a 4G iPod

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by 2A Batterie, Aug 26, 2004.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I love Apple but quite frankly, I'm a little tired of their antics lately. The service seems to really be going downhill. The latest is that a good number 4G iPods have an audible whirring sound in the headphones and Apple doesn't seem to be doing much for that support wise. Apple also has changed their phone support policy to "one instance" in the first 90 days... after that you need to buy Apple Care to get help. Here's a link to more detailed info:
    http://www.ipodlounge.com/articles_more.php?id=4776_0_8_0_M

</bush '04>

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

yikes. i can understand a new product having problems - and as long as apple deals with it eventually (sooner is better than later, of course), i think it's ok.

if the change of policy for the support phone callis true, then it is quite outrageous. unlike Mac computers, which can have problems with third-party installed software or hardware that i can understand apple wanting to make sure apple only covers apple hardware under the warranty, iPod has virtually no additional software or hardware that can cause problems! if there is a problem with an iPod, short of loading corrupted music files, it must be come from apple supplied hardware/software on the iPod! so apple should keep the support phone line open for the duration of the hardware warranty...

ugh, that's pretty petty of apple. i hate when anyone pushes the extended warranty deals (apple in this case, but i'm sure everyone is annoyed by best buy crap) because it's such a cash cow. it's easy money for them.

3. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

A friend of mine had a problem with service. I truely hope these are isolated cases. When did they change the policy anyone know? It seems as if they're forcing you to pay for the extended warranty, though I purchased it myself (Apple Care) with my ipod, I haven't had to use it (knock on wood). :D

4. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

5. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Unfortunately, it is true. I took a friend to buy a iBook+iPod under the current Cram+Jam promotion. The salesman and I had a little back and forth about the AppleCare for both products. The 1 call rule now applies for ALL Apple products covered by their original warranty and not covered by AppleCare. Personally, I think it's horrible that if you were to have two hardware-based problems with your new computer within the first year, they'd charge you $50 to talk to them about the second.

We couldn't believe it. We almost walked out, but she really needed a computer, so we got it anyway. Unfortunately, I didn't ask when the new policy went into effect.

6. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

If this is true, then Apple's new policy is absurd. Consumer reports recently gave Apple's service a high mark, but I'm sure next year it will be substantially lower. It just seems that Apple is shooting itself in the foot with its service lately (ex. twice notifying 2.5 buyers 12 hours before ship date of dela, major delays on Xserve, etc.). I really hope Apple does not continue this trend or a major advantage of being an apple user will be gone.

7. Pass2Yao macrumors member

Wow, that is really unfortunate to hear. I just purchased a 12" pb from Apple yesterday, and now I find out I'll only get one support call. I switched to mac in part b/c I figured Apple to be above this kind of pettiness.

Is there any kind of notice about this on Apple's website? Anybody out there know how long it has been in effect?

8. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Again, where are the links to show that Apple really only gives you one phone call for ALL their hardware? If you don't have one it is just a rumor.

Besides this, if you bought any Apple product via their website and live unreasonably far away from an Apple store, or in a country that does not have an Apple store for that matter, then you can call them as often as you want if there is something wrong with your hardware. It is not possible that they can prevent that. If you bought it some place else, yes they can, but if you bought it from them you could call them every day for however long your guarantee is, if you have problems every day, and not pay a dime.

I hate when people just state things for facts when they don't know squat.

9. budaapple macrumors regular

buy Apple care

It is by far the best extended warranty period! All computer manufacturers offer 90 day tech support and Apple is the same. Every single call I have ever made to Applecare was handled promptly and properly' even my newbie Mother was treated with respect and patience. There is a reason Consumer Reports ranks this service so high. Pay the extra money and forget about worrying. I mean you already paid a premium to get the best computer made why not protect it. Would you even turn the key of your new Boxter without first calling your insurance man. It's a no brainer GUYS!
    Sorry just had to vent!
    Thanks

10. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

Ugh... for the love of jilnak...

While the iPodlounge is a great resource for a all sorts of cool iPod info and reviews, they over react to everything.

Quite frankly, their on a witch hunt this time, convincing people that there's some horrible problem afflicting all the the new iPods. While there is a minor audio issue in some of newest iPods, it's not nearly as common as they're claiming it to be.

Even if your iPod has the problem, most will only have to do a specific set of things using Apple Lossless audio to tigger it.

BTW, I love my 4G iPod.

11. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Besides, it's a first-revision product; there's always a glitch or two in some fraction of total units. Typically, though, there are far more units sold that are just fine, making it more likely than not that you won't be the one to have problems.

Heck, with those odds, I'd play the lottery, too. :rolleyes: