A good reason not to buy an Apple TV

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stevento, Jan 11, 2007.

1. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/experiences/magic.mspx

you wirelessly connect your Xbox 360 to your vista machine. then play things off of windows media player on your TV. and this is also a state of the art game console...
    so Apple TV is $300 and basically all it does is plays iTunes media on a TV screen... to me it sounds like this should be priced at $49.99. and it has that awful front row interface.
    why does it cost $300 to connect your iTunes to your TV?
    and then it only connects to some TV's where as xBox 360 has adapters to meet ALL tv's.
    i dont get the apple TV at all.
    the more i reserch Vista.... the less i am impressed with apple products.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yep connect360 pretty much rocks! this connects the mac to the 360

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Sure, you can research Vista all you like, and it'll look good. However, when it comes down to it, it's still Windows. I had it on a spare PC here, and it drove me absolutely insane. I never thought I'd really like XP again, but it's certainly a breath of fresh air after Vista.

Disclaimer: I also prefer Panther over Tiger.

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

XBox users are a tiny tiny majority. And most XBoxes are in the kid's bedroom, not in the living room. In most living rooms, the XBox will be vetoed out by the wife. (Maybe "wife" is an advanced concept to you that you don't quite understand yet). And calling any interface created by Apple "awful" compared to anything from Microsoft? Which alternate reality do you live in?

For pricing, look at the latest Creative product: A dock for an iPod, and a wireless receiver that will play music to your stereo, or high end TV (sound enhanced with their X chip, which _is_ impressive, to get better than CD quality, but still only sound). Cost: $300.

The difference between $49 and $299 is: No fiddling around. It just works.

5. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

I agree with you. For the same price you have a gaming machine, DVD player, internet browser, and basically the same functionality. Connect360 (or whatever they previewed at CES) looks VERY similar to AppleTV, and that's just one part of the 360.

6. 7ttman macrumors newbie

price of Apple TV

The way I see it is that Apple TV enables you to play movies on yer telly downloaded from the itunes store.... so surely rather than buy the box, apple should be giving boxes away free with a contract to buy movies from their store. That model works well with cell phones and satellite tv

7. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I agree, AppleTV is absolutely lame.

It should be ****ing free for the functionality it gives, especially considering Apple stands to make $massive profits$ from your media purchases off iTunes Store.

Apple is just too greedy, they are not contented with making money, what they must do is to control everything you can do and have the whole pie, and the bakery, all to themselves.

8. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Another good reason to not buy it is if you live outside the States. I mean, what is the point for the moment?

Or if you don't have a TV like me in the first place! :)

9. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

America - because 200 million people is such a huge market in a world of 6 billion people.

10. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

I agree that the price is high and options are lame.
    It really should have a dvr function that streams back to the computer.

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Oh, those bastards! Imagine them, trying to run a business and profit from it!

If you don't like it, then don't friggin' buy one, whiner.

Yeah...cause I'm sure all those 6 billion people are in the market for high end electronic devices...

12. islandman macrumors 6502

I agree with some of your points, but not all. If someone already has a 360 and a Vista machine, then yes this solution is awesome (and I am one of those people). But if you have neither (or one or the other), you would have to buy a Vista machine for $1000+ and/or buy a 360 for $400+.

I personally don't like the Apple TV, but I see its merit.

13. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

It is a small, brilliant, useful device and I'm going to buy one.

Later.

14. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

A good reason TO buy an aTV

I don't play games. I hate Microsoft. Therefore I'll buy an aTV.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I am going to buy it because I cannot see how I'll be able to compromise with the xbox 360. What if while I am watching TV with it someone wants to play xbox on another tv? Besides, I like the idea of atv, itv whatever it is and I'm quite pleased with it.

16. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

You guys have got to be joking... I feel like I walked into a freaking kindergarden.

If you don't like it don't buy it.

If don't know anything about prices and markets keep your mouth shut.

If you don't know anything about what it can do and cannot do keep your mouth shut.

As I wrote in another thread:

If you people want a DVR get an EyeTV, hook it up to your media server, create an automatic export script/automator action to iTunes and watch it on your Apple tv.

If you people want a DVD player, rip the disc with Handbrake to your media center, import to iTunes and watch it on your Apple tv.

I don't know what the fuss is all about, you can still do all the things you want to with the added benefit that you only need one media server (DVR, DVD, music, photos, etc.) for all your TVs.

17. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Apple TV is a great idea, but to expensive to justify in my view. Currently I have my mac mini hooked up to my HDTV. Refurb solo's are going for 479 in the apple refurb store, less online for a preintel version. What can the Apple TV do that a mini can't ? There must be something that I am missing, because it seems to me I would rather have a mini for a little more money.

18. JMax1 macrumors 6502

JMax1

Such strong words! "*****ing free" "greedy" "making money"

Come, fellow Comrades! Let us rise agains Apple, Inc in anarchy because they are making money! Let us tell them how to run their business!

Why do you want it for free? Didn't your mama tell you nothing is free? Would you spend a ton of money making a product where you don't necessarily HAVE to buy anything off the apple store and then go give it away for free? (eyetv for tv shows, eh?)

Don't you have student loan money you could use to buy it?

19. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

There is, as described in hundreds of other posts and in mine a couple of posts up, but again:

If you want a DVR get an EyeTV, hook it up to your media server, create an automatic export script/automator action to iTunes and watch it on your Apple tv.

If you want a DVD player, rip the disc with Handbrake to your media center, import to iTunes and watch it on your Apple tv.

So you can do almost all the things you can currently do on your Mac mini.

But the benefit is that you only need one media server (DVR, DVD, music, photos, etc.) for all your TVs.

So the little bit more work you spend on getting your content into iTunes is offset by the time you save for not having to synchronize 2-3 Mac minis in every room you have a TV.

20. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

The population of America is 300 million, but i'm nit picking.

My point was, only America can download the TV shows and movies at the moment.

21. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

see apple tv is not at all creative, innovative, or worthy of any of the hype it got at MWSF.

it came AFTER the xbox 360 which has the same functionality and much much much more.

ok, maybe the aTV interface is better the awfull slow front row interface, but how does that amount to $299?
    aTV doesn't play dvds
    no state of the art games
    no internet browisng

and you with aTV you cant take TV DVR content to your computer.
    basically aTV is an iTunes to TV adapter that it wireless. $300
    it seems like people buy things from apple like iPhone and aTV just because apple made it, knowing it lacks functionality.

just like this macbook i have right now, it so much less media functional that the Vista machine i'm going to get.

i guess apple can sell anything to its loyal subjects.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wow, yet another thread from Americans saying "****" to the rest of the world.

So I need Vista and a 360 for this? Not just iTunes? and to have a huge chunky, loud 360 box in the front room? No thanks. I dont need Apple TV (student living at home, EyeTV on iMac for TV). Plus no scart output? Thanks Apple. You just fell behind every other 20 quid DVD player or TV accessory on the market here.

23. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

You can't be serious? They've sold over 10 million of them already?

P.S. And I think you meant "minority?"

24. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

AppleTV is just too expensive for what it can do.
    plus, i already have an XBOX360...

25. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I am not buying one FYI.

Well, not all of aforementioned 200 million are in the market for "high end" electronic devices too. Plenty of americans "steal" medical services by... *gasp* having no health insurance and having their unhealthy and disease ridden bodies give out of them in the district of a private for-profit hospital!

America is no better than the rest of the world, go check out europe and asia some day. Faster broadband, more advanced mobile technology. You guys still using TACs? Pfft, that is so 1990...

I have nothing wrong with Apple making money.

What I do have issue with is how they make a device (obviously to profit from its sale), with the sole intent of further profiting from the sale/license of "consumable" media after its sale. With its support of two (2) video file formats anyone can agree that it is intentially crippled no? The hardware is definitely capable of doing more, why not?