A good sleeve for a 12"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by niter, Jan 21, 2004.

1. niter macrumors 6502

A coworker and I are looking for a good sleeve for our laptops. He has the 12" PB and I have a 12" iBook. We need sleeves that would protect our computers while being inserted in another bag. I was very interested in the Powersleev, but their website is currently down.

Any other suggestions for a case? Or does anyone know where I could get a Powersleev (if it is any good)?

Thanks

2. buckuxc macrumors regular

a few options

I've recently done some searching around for a sleeve for my new 12" PB. In another thread I happened upon a recommendation for Brian Markey who makes handcrafted personalized sleeves. I order one from him and should be getting it soon. He charges $40 (about the same as most of the commercial ones available), you pick the colors and whether you want stripes or solids. He makes it out of upholstery and other types of fabrics, so I suppose you could specify a certain type of fabric too if you want. You can email him at occulist[at]hotmail[dot]com. Read
    this thread for some other options. Before I settled on the one personalized one, I was looking at ZeroShock, Marware, and Acme bags/cases. There's also InCase, and a couple others referred to in that thread. Do a search for sleeve for others.

If you decide that you'd like the one from Brian, maybe you can let him know I referred you. The name is Stephen Schaefer.

sps

3. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

I have a tucano second skin, its just your bog standard neoprene skin, but its designed for the 12" Apple laptops and fits well. It was pretty cheap I cant remember exactly how much, but really not much at all. I got it from my local Apple reseller.

I had it first for my 12" iBook and now for my powerbook so it will fit both your machines fine, obviously its a little tighter on the iBook but its still fine for just sticking my PB in my backpack when I go into uni or on holiday etc. They do actually have two separate sizes for the iBook and powerbook, but I didnt think it was worth buying another, obviously if youre buying new go for the right one.

4. fincher macrumors newbie

5. PBGPowerbook macrumors regular

I have the Marware "Sharkskin" (marware.com) for my PowerBook 12 and it is pretty damn nice. The 12 in PBook sleeve is separate from the ibook one, so it fits VERY snug. It is just neoprene and fleecy interior, no hard parts. The zipper is well guarded from scratching the computer exterior, and it is great to throw in a backpack. highly recommended.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i second that. great stuff for my ibook and ipod.

7. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I got the Spire 'zoom' backpack with the optional internal sleeve. Very convenient, I can use the sleeve for 'walk arounds' or have double protection on longer trips...

8. pyknosis macrumors newbie

9. TheBunnellFarm macrumors regular

I have a brand new unopened Brenthaven sleeve case for a iBook G4, the new one.
    I bought it from Apple and the Salesperson said it was perfect for the iBook 12 inch.
    I sent my iBook back but have the case.
    I was going to use it in another case for double protection.

$25 plus $6 Shipping

Tom

10. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

I bought a neoprene sleeve from Fry's designed for the Sony Vaio (in fact it's got a Vaio logo on it). The dimensions however were very close to my iBook...I haven't tried it out yet though...so I'm not positive. BUT, it was only $19.99.

Also, it comes with a second smaller case designed for A/C adapter and such. I intend to use it for A/C adapter and mini-mouse (of the Bluetooth variety) if I ever find one.