A good webhost?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by greyfalco, Feb 11, 2006.

1. greyfalco macrumors newbie

I am going to put my portfolio online of mostly video/animation (it's a small amount of work though). I was wondering who you would recommend for web hosting, who is good?

::edit:: oops, I should not have put this in the hardware forum. I'm sorry.

2. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

This thread may help -- many people talking about many webhost options ...

3. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

www.doteasy.com
    I have five accounts with them and I'm still alive.
    Enter my website (below) as a referral and we will get an extra 100 Mbytes each for free.

4. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

I like http://www.spoonohost.com - It's a great price for so many features. It's a smaller company, so you'll find bugs, but they generally fix them right away. Happy with the speed, too.

5. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

6. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

telnap, ripplehost and hostpc are good. They [HostPC] run specials periodically.

I got in on a 100MB storage/1GB monthly transfer for $8.99/yr. a while back [HostPC]. Only down time I experience was during Hurricane Katrina.

Cheapest deal they have now is 1GB storage/10GB monthly transfer for $34.99/yr.

EDIT.....

review of Hostpc.

7. turbopants macrumors regular

I second the hostpc recommendation. They've been very reliable and affordable. Support is very fast, and nice people to work with.

8. iQuit macrumors 6502a

iQuit

+1

9. jamescwarren macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

I would go with: www.piczo.com

They offer free webhosting and it is really easy to use.

10. oober_freak macrumors regular

No one mentioned "God" yet..

www.asmallorange.com

This is like the best host I've ever had. The customer support is amazing and they're really professional in their approach.

If you sign up with them, pls enter my user id "anand123" or "techlogy.net" in the referal box.

11. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

The statistics on bandwidth and storage aren't the best, but I do like their approach to their service. Is it very fast?

12. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I use a VPS from ASO and i have had only one downtime of 3 hours since October. I love it and it is relatively cheap too, only 50 a month.

13. sammyg macrumors newbie

14. iQuit macrumors 6502a

iQuit

I forgot what Mac Forums/News website delivered hosting, but I would like to find which one it was. They had a pretty impresive deal.

15. K2` macrumors member

16. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

I just signed up with A Small Orange www.asmallorange.com this afternoon - only took me a few minutes. Had an email within an hour giving me all the details to upload my site. Downloaded Cyberduck http://cyberduck.ch/ to do the ftp stuff (I just couldn't handle Dreamweaver for this bit, it just would not do it for some reason).
    Why A Small Orange, and why Cyberduck? Both at the suggestion of MR forum members after doing a few searches here.

17. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I personally like Dreamhost. Been using them for a little over a year now. At $10 a month, I've got 20+ GBs of storage and 140+ GBs of monthly bandwidth, not to mention unlimited domain names, 600 (or is it unlimited?) email addresses, plenty of included features, etc. Definitely satisfied with their service.

18. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

I'm a huge fan of Doteasy.com... it's especially good when setting up sites for people who don't need any scripting or such... Free hosting when you purchase a domain.

asmallorange looks interesting... may have to try it out... how long has it been around?

19. motherduce macrumors 6502

20. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

Fro dream host use CODE: "60PROMO" for 60 bucks off.

21. oober_freak macrumors regular

I think it is quite fast. I haven't had a downtime since I signed up about two months ago. What I like about them is their customer support. It is awesome. And the 30 day money back guarantee doesn't hurt, does it? :D

22. penguinman macrumors member

penguinman

im working on developing a site for my photography portfolio and another for a business.

would it be a good idea to get two hosts? or would it be better/cheaper to get a .mac account and use that one for my portfolio site (and all the other.mac features) and get a seperate domain/host for the businesS?

23. K2` macrumors member

nah.. use 777 .. bigger discount... if you sign on for a year.. it comes out to $9.24 USD/year.. i think.. or around there at least..

24. generik macrumors 601

generik

Yes, I can vouch for their support. Signed up on one of their lifetime plans lately to give them a whirl.. since my other contract is expiring.

Last 3 support tickets responded to within 30 minutes, IMPRESSIVE :D

25. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

I use Mediatemple and have been very happy. mediatemple.net

I was also a doteasy user for a few years and was happy there as well.