A great widget Idea here...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by motulist, May 2, 2005.

1. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

disclaimer: I haven't even smelled a mac with Tiger on it, so I don't know if this will work or if it already exists but...

An awesome widget would be a "Dock 2" (I'd like to call it the Duck cause it'd duck behind your Dock when you close Dashboard) that would be just like the regular dock but it'd live in the Dashboard and pop up when Dashboard is activated. That way you could have 3 or 4 extra docks organized into groups and you could store all your lesser used apps there instead of cluttering up your real Dock. Whadda ya think?

2. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

I had exactly the same thought. You could then use hot corners to bring up the dock anywhere you want it, instead of a persistent "minefield" at the edges of the screen.
    Personally, I prefer to use Dragthing 5.6; it's better and more configurable than the OSX dock.

BTW, Tiger is an excellent upgrade to Panther.
    I've installed it on my system and an iMac G4 with no problems so far.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

While this might be doable it's almost not needed as you can pretty much bring up any App you want with Spotlight. It'd be interesting either way as I know everybody has different needs...

Back in my heavy Windows usage days I actually did something quite crazy.... I enabled active desktop, had it remove all the icons form the desktop, and created and HTML page that simply looked like my background... I used mouseovers on various parts of the image which would then go from the image to "that part of the image with an icon" and you could click on the HTML link and it would launch your program... silly but... it was sorta neat because the desktop looked blank unless you knew where the programs were at...

And I had no friends and plenty of free time... :(

:)

4. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Wow! I find that disturbingly impressive - neat trick though, I would have never thought about that.

Slightly drifting off topic here, but it's sorta related. I was thinking of a dashboard widget idea - obtaining local show times for movies. I know there are websites with this info, so writing a widget to go get them based on ZIP code that could be entered in the widget settings and a movie title entered into the widget shouldn't be too complex. I'm a programmer, but haven't worked with webpages in a long time. It would seem that writing a widget is mostly like making a dynamic webpage. I might have to give it a shot.