Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pollaxe

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
West of England
Because future generations will forget he was dug up and moved and assumed he was always given a kings burial in whatever cathedral he ends up in, when actually he was killed in quite a nasty way, and given a small funeral (not quite a paupers funeral, but certainly low key) in a small church. That is the story of the last english king to die in battle, and that history will now be forgotten.

At the end of the day the sole reason he was exhumed and moved was for the university to get itself in the media, it really has served no other purpose.

In addition I also think its disrespectful to disturb any burial ground except extreme cases for instance when exhumation takes place for murder investigations etc.

British history forgets its folklore tradition, science has to prove its worth by finding dead kings, and making a media frenzy about it, but in doing so trashes the history that education has been built upon...... Its commonplace now...... I bet if you ask most History GCSE students what the earliest religions where in England they'll say Christianity, which most people with an interest in history should know it wasnt.

I can see your point but I think history will recall what happened to him. He's celebrated as being the last king to die in battle and the little dignity that his enemies accorded him is well known and is backed-up by the 'wounds of humiliation' they've found during the investigation of his bones.

IIRC The Richard III Society paid for the dig, using donations from its members to fund it and one of their driving motivations was that they felt the ignoble treatment surrounding his burial needed to be redressed and that he deserved a decent tomb. I'm inclined to agree with that view. They aren't putting him on display, they're giving him a decent reburial and I think that's fitting for a former king.

What's happening to him now will be part of history too and finding him has added to our historical knowledge of the period so I would contend that it's actually helped to preserve and add to the history of the man and his times, rather than pervert it...

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
UK
I too have some sympathy for Sim's point but would suggest that this whole thing is a bit like when they discuss Quantum stuff and say that all things are possible until you observe it then the outcome is fixed*.

Once you actually know it's Richard in the car park then the outcome is fixed, as suddenly it's no longer a car park, despite the fact you're parking cars there. You're now just letting people park on the grave of a very famous king of England.

To stop that sort of thing happening I guess you've got to stop looking for evidence of anything (stop observing) for fear of fixing the outcome and I'm not sure where that would leave us.

*Please don't pick me up on this - I really have no idea how it all works.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
As an American who has no emotional tie to lucky sperm royalty, it still seems that tradition and history requires a proper burial. A reasonable royal tomb is the right end for this.

The alternative would be to dig up the parking lot and make it an historical memorial site. That would also be a graceful solution for others who may still be buried there.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Because future generations will forget he was dug up and moved and assumed he was always given a kings burial in whatever cathedral he ends up in, ....

You make a surprisingly good argument though I'm not entirely convinced. I think a proper reburial is still the best course of action.

I doubt it will happen, and I do say this with tongue in cheek... but it wouldn't hurt to inscribe on that marble tomb something along the lines of "Exhumed from a council parking lot... " somewhere. That would ensure that future generations don't forget that bit of history. I think you are right that where the bones were finally found is will be as important as the rest of his life in writing his history for future generations.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
There are many things forgotten in the confines of british history or perverted to suit a political view. Whilst this is a little old to be one, it opens it up to the oppurtunity to do it.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
As a former head of state, I expect his burial will get all the deference due his position. However he was treated before, he was a King of England and should be treated as such.

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
UK
Well, back in the day, they wouldn't have thought anything of chopping up and boiling up a VIP's body straight off the battlefield so the bones could be transported back home to be entombed with (eventual) dignity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.