A Killer at Heaven?!?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Pixeled_Apple, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Pixeled_Apple macrumors member

Hi, I'm kinda scared 2day, coz they discoved a new virus called "Renepo" (its opener, backwards) I was jus readin' the The Age NEXT newspaper, and I found that Virus? How can this be? Will it change all of mac's Future? At least this virus "Toolkit" is not as powerful and spreadable like Windows PCs. Even though that it requires a Password ; the hackers can use password sniffers, cracks etc!!!! :mad: How can these people do this!!!?! :mad: :mad:

I'm kinda freakin' out here!

Link: http://www.theage.com.au/news/Next/Virus-bites-into-a-clean-Apple/2004/11/01/1099262775820.html?oneclick=true

2. angelneo macrumors 68000

Now now, calm down, there's no need to get freak out over one report. If that's the case, people using windows would have jump off the building.

Here's a previous thread that will help to explain things
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=94743

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If somebody is sniffing your password (or even has your password) you're probably already in more trouble than you should be. Even without this "Opener" thing you'd already be screwed. If they have your password they can install anything they want (providing they have access to the machine somehow)... I really really really wouldn't worry about it.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm willing to sell my 1996 BeBox, running BeOS - initially a contender for OS X - for only US$10K. It browses the Web just fine, it handles email, and, since maybe half a dozen are even connected to the Internet anymore, it is, in essence, invulnerable to hackers. Security isn't cheap, but that $10K will buy you peace of mind. And the dual-133MHz 601s are more than enough to handle browsing MacRumors.

PM me. And, for that $10K, I'll even throw in free shipping.

5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Do you have pictures... Hows about some ebay feedback? ;)

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Here you go:
    [​IMG].

No eBay feedback, but I'll personally fly the BeBox to the airport nearest the buyer, as long as they send me just half of the asking price up front. ;)

Note the cool CPU meter LED bars on each side in the front - you can't beat that!

7. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Will you come in a limo to my house while wearing a tux and set it up for me?

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

For $10K, I'll do that and prepare you an iced beverage of your choice!

9. Pixeled_Apple thread starter macrumors member

can't afford $10,000

Personally, I my 'rents are just convinced and buyin' me a pb 15" SD/1.5ghz... so there is no chance of buyin' a $10,000 Machine... :p

Do I now need a Mac Anti-virus? or can d'load a patch? Isn't they any free online mac scanners?

10. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

You really shouldn't worry about these sorts of things. Apple might release a security update, but the way mac os asks for a password for anything important to run means as long as you have a good password, it would be "practically" immune to attacks like this.

11. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Don't worry. There was a blurb in the paper today, and I just Googled it and said, "When will they learn that this will not cause the Mac OS to die?"

Just keep life going as normal.