a latte and a big mac please

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Java, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Java macrumors regular

Jan 13, 2003
    Marin County (where else?)
    As if putting microsoft in your car (link here) wasn't scary enough, now we can all be sipping double espressos while ordering our big macs and fries.

Yes, the nation's 2nd McCafe is set to open in the San Francisco Bay Area.

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    Wow, McDonald's is really trying to transform itself. I don't know if it is going to be successful, but I respect them for trying. They need to do something, or they're going to continue losing business.
  3. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2002

McDonald has felt very antipatic to me since i discovered in the summer that they use beef extract on their french fries ... so their fries are not vegetarian food. now that there was left jsut the frozen yogurt of the items i could eat .. i _still_ think i'd FIRST have a look on the ingredients list in whatever i'd think of eating there before i would eat it. Hopefully they use no gelatin or beef extract in their coffees.

Well .. if i'd want a coffee with a snack, why would i go to mcdonalds? there are tons of local coffee shops, and starbucks.. what next? starbucks selling burgers?
  4. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    The coffee at the McCafe had better be more palatable than the stuff they serve at McDonald's. Then again, it wouldn't take much. *yecchh*
  5. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Farmer Bros. (yuck) would probably be considered high-end to McDonalds. You never know though, in the Mountain View area you better have the good stuff or most people will just go to a Starbucks (which will be located no more than 1 block apart;) )
  6. Pismo macrumors 6502

Apr 30, 2002
    I think it's a good idea. It would be neat if it was an internet cafe also. McDonalds doesn't have enough cafe's to compete head on with Starbucks but I'm sure people will still go to see what their coffee is like. I'm sure the coffee would be cheaper than Starbucks too! Buying a coffee at $3 a day from Starbucks adds up over the course of a year. I'd be interested in trying it if a McCafe ever came to my area.
  7. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

Obviously this isn't a health issue, because no matter what you fry them in, French fries are around as bad of food that you can put in your body. Not only are they, as a starch, the devil de jour diet-wise, but they're deep fried as well.

Of course, if you're going to indulge... It's the beef extract that makes McDonald's fries so TASTY!! Go have some bland BK fries if you want Canola goodness.

With the efficiency at which cows are used, it's highly unlikely that you're avoiding contact with some part of them during your day.

A few sample usages...
  8. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

Mar 10, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    "An ingenious combination designed to make your mouth water, in that way it does right before you vomit."
  9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    yeah, i've been hearing this, i saw today that mcdonalds has some sort of chicken-parmesan sandwich... they're definitely trying to spruce it up. personally, i'll not be caught dead in a "mccafe". but, that's because i'm a huge elitist, and going to tiny little hotspot coffee cafés is part of the fun.

i'm starting to get a little worried about how mcdonalds is expanding. McKids, McCafe, too much golden arches. they need to stay as the nasty, greasy, fast joint on every streetcorner...

10. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

We easily have more Starbucks here than we do McDonalds (c.c. Philadelphia).

I don't eat fast-food, but I see little difference between eating at McDonalds and shopping at Wal-mart, drinking Budweiser or Coke, or eating Count Chocula... it's all mass-crap appealing to the lowest common denominator (kind of like watching FOX news)...
  11. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

Apr 22, 2003
    Historic Norcross

I agree, but what, you prefer Pepsi and Miller? Come on now, I've never seen Dr. Brown sodas in a vending machine, and well, sometimes, it's just good to go with the cheap beer (although I do prefer Coors Original "Banquet" over a cold Bud)

Back on topic, there are no McCafes in Georgia that I am aware of, and I wouldn't go into one anyways. I think I have never been in a Starbucks either. Dunkin Donuts, though, now THAT'S good coffee!
  12. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    I just hope if they do the "internet cafe" thing, they do it right. If people spend $4 on a coffee, they should get an hour of Internet access with it damnit! Free with coffee purchase!
  13. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    This surprises me. I expected there to be hundreds of McCafés in the US. There are dozens here in NZ.
  14. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Yes, but because of the claim they switches oils if I remember correctly.

Cafe's... hmm...

I dunno sounds like a non profitable idea to me.