A level results thread (UK)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mord, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

anyone out there getting there results tommorow? i'm getting my as results for maths further maths physics and electronics i'm expecting BDAA.....

2. petej macrumors regular

Best wishes to all of those expecting results. Hope you all get enought points to get your first choice University/College. Enjoy the next 3 years of debt accumulation but be kind to your liver.

3. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

I'm probably going to be in it for at least four years, if not 8, I want a PhD.

4. petej macrumors regular

If you have such a desire now then I'm sure your A level results will not disappoint

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    So Hector, how'd you do? Are you out celebrating?

6. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

i was within two marks of the next grade up in physics and maths --_-- BBCU, oh well, i dident do well in certain exams which brought me down and i pretty much expected to fail further maths, so i'll be takeing maths physics and electronics next year, my electronics grade is a bit fuzzy, i got an A a B and a C in the three but i got a high C B and A i could average to an A but if i get low ones i could average to a C or if they are in the middle i could get a B, my physics courcework got moderated down from an A to a B which just bugs me, anyway i spent this year pretty much dossing around doing no work so i may acctually have to study next year instead of being on macrumors :(

7. fieldsofanfield macrumors newbie

I got:
    Geography - A
    English Literature - A
    Computing - A
    Physics - B
    General Studies - B

So I'm off to Durham to do Geography in October :D :D :D :D :D

8. dcv macrumors G3

Well congratulations for the passes, nice to see people still taking a-level physics (my favourite subject at school... then NOT my favourite subject at university!), i noticed someone mentioned physics, maths & art in another thread too.

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Congrats on the results too... the trouble is that the hard work is just starting! :eek:

10. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

woo got into Nottingham, my first choice university, for Economics.
    I should have got AAAB for my A2's but got A (Economics) B (Business) B (Maths) B (Geography), they were asking AABB
    Not disastrous but unlucky, Maths was just below a B, and the other two were High B's.
    In the end though got in for my chosen degree and Uni so i am well Happy :)

Well done you guys as well and i hope A2'er's got into their first choice's on here, us Mac users are statistically a clever bunch :)

11. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I just got in from a mini pre-afternoon booze up after getting:

German - A (with special commendation with a particular module in which i scored 100% .. and it was worth 40% of the exam!)

Religion + Ethics - A

Maths - B (i swore i failed this, when i read B i jumped! Best of all got 79% in it, 1% off an A!)

So with my AAB I'm off to my first choice, Bath University, to do International Management and German!

... now, just to order that iBook :p and DTT eyeTV...

12. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

I'll post my sisters AS's.. :p

She got A, A, A, A and a B in Critical Thinking. The A's were in Ethics and Philospohy, RS, Art, and English.

I'm not looking forward to mine..

Oh, and congrats to you guys who did well, comiserations to those who didn;t do as well as they'd hoped. :(

13. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

I got mine today.

x4 As n a D (woops!) :)

Business & Economics, ICT, Graphics (DT), Biology, (General Studies, yuk!-pointless that was!)
    (Also an extra AEA exam which I got entered for and couldn't prepare for, didn't get it! ah well!)

I am now going to Staffordshire University to study Forensic Computing, YEY! :cool:

Many congrats everyone. I hope you all got what you wanted. Commiserations to those who didn't.

YEY!! Nice one!

14. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Congratulations to all those who got the results they wanted.

Ah... my brother studied Economics at Nottingham. It's a good course, from what I hear.

15. petej macrumors regular

Don't forget to add TV Licence to that list. :) I'll never forget the day the inspectors came into hall. They must have picked up a huge bonus that day.

16. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Nottingham... apparently the second worse place to live in the UK (according to the abominable Kirsty Allsop and her chum). Gun crime and drugs all too big so they say. However I studied there and didn't think twas too bad, night life is brilliant and it's not too expensive (compares very favourably with Oxford in that regard!).

Well done to all you with results. Now then, was it any easier than last year... ? :p

17. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Hell no! :p
    Hehe, ye, thats a must! Though they give you 24 hours notice to get the TVs out! Plus if you take all the locks of the doors it apparently only needs one license!! The things you learn!

18. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Mind, they also reckoned Hull was the worst place in the country so there you go. As for Nottingham, I liked the place. I studied there myself (albeit at Trent).

19. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Hmmm - take the locks off the doors and you may have another reason for not needing a TV licence... ! :rolleyes:

20. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Yeah, how did you feel about that? I've never been to Hull, so couldn't comment - but they also said it was the "fattest" city in the UK. I'm not so sure about some of their rankings.

21. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Ahhh good ol' A-levels. Congratulations on the grades.

What in gods name is "Critical thinking"? :eek: Is that like some personal, social well being subject?

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

"One letter away from Hell", as they say.
    :)

23. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Indeed! So either way the problem is solved! Hehe!

Congrats on everyone again, and good luck at all your universities.
    Luckily (or unluckily, depending on how you look at it!) I'm still living at home and commuting, 40 drive everyday! Nice! I hope all you people moving get settled in ok.

Best of luck to you all.

24. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Though according to Blackadder, Hull is one of the great universities of England. :p

25. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I didn't see the show, but when I saw the trailer I knew we'd come out at the top of the worst list – we always do on these surveys! there's been a bit of an uproar, mainly because much of the criteria used was terribly unfair on cities such as Hull and Nottingham – for example, we were both slated for our poor education results. However, as both are unitary authorities this essentially means we're only rated on inner city schools in deprived areas, which often have problems in any city you go to. The more affluent suburbs (with much better schools and education results) are classed as East Yorkshire, so aren't counted in Hull's favour. Yes, we do have our problems but showing a close up of a pile of dog faeces to represent the city (as the show apparently did) was unnecessary. And I can't understand that they reckoned us having over 100 fish and chip shops was a bad thing?!

Still, secretly we're pleased about the programme. If it stops smug, arrogant southerners like that bloody Kirstie Allsopp coming up here and ruining the place, it can only be a good thing. ;)

*sorry for the off topic rant*