A Litte Help, Please

Discussion in 'iPod' started by smiffy, Oct 1, 2005.

1. smiffy macrumors newbie

Hey.

I have had my iPod for about a month now. However, in the last week, it has displayed nothing but the << (or back one track) symbol.

Is there anything that i can do (nothing too drastic!) to correct this?

Many thanks,

Smiffy.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Try doing a hard reset. What kind of iPod is it? If it's a clickwheel iPod (iPod Mini or fourth generation iPod, or probably also iPod Nano), then you do this by letting the iPod go to sleep, plugging the cable into the bottom and plugging it into the wall charging brick, then toggle the hold switch to ON (can't change things) and back to OFF (can change things). Then hold the menu part of the wheel and the select part (center) down simultaneously for ten seconds. It should flash the Apple logo on the screen when it's worked.

If you have a different kind of iPod, peruse this note at Apple's site for the equivalent instructions:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61705

P.S. This might change settings of the iPod such as whether the wheel makes noise when you turn it, but it will not cause you to lose any data stored on the iPod. ;)

3. smiffy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much.

It worked.

Thanks again,

Smiffy.

4. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I would class that as a soft reset though, a hard reset/recovery would be running iPod updater in my mind. I do this to a lot every week, so sorry if I am nitpicking, I'll go and lock myself in the cupboard again.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

On websites people seem to have taken to referring to this procedure as a hard reset, more often than anything else, although I see what you mean. I guess it's harder than putting the ipod to sleep and waking it back up, and softer than running a firmware update. But if you google "hard reset" and iPod you will mostly get results for this procedure and not for a firmware refresh.

6. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Thanks for that, I have never really looked into it, (as I saw no need). Most other devices usually refer to hard reset as a reflashing of firmware, but I guess there are always exceptions to the rule.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Actually, I could be wrong but I believe a soft reset is the one outlined by the wondrous mkrishnan above and a hard reset is when you do the same procedure whilst it is plugged into a power adaptor - which has a stronger effect. Then, a firmware restore is when you run the iPod Updater software.

Hairs well and truly split. :D