A little advice needed

Discussion in 'iPod' started by doctor pangloss, Sep 17, 2005.

1. doctor pangloss macrumors regular

I'm in the process of opening a spa.
    I need a sound system to play non stop music.
    I want to get away from using CD's. I'm currently using a 40G click wheel and a 1G shuffle. I really love the shuffle.

I don't need a big library of music. Only 8 hours or so. So a 512 shuffle would be adequate.
    I could change the playlists around using hardware I already have, Like my PB or Ibook.

Question:
    Would it be practical to set up shuffle with it's own usb power supply and wired straight into a sound system for continuous operation 12 hours a day, day in day out?

Would an Ipod mini be better? I notice the apple store isn't carrying them anymore.
    How would an Ipod hold up to such extended use?
    I like the price of the small shuffle and that has the needed capacity.

2. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

A Shuffle or Nano would be best and would work with ease. The iPods with hard drives, the iPod and iPod mini, has a (very small) possibility of failing if left for continuous play (I'm talking months though).

3. doctor pangloss thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking the flash memory aspect of the shuffle/nano would be good.
    I guess this gives me a good excuse to buy a Nano for myself and dedicate my 1G shuffle for my biz.
    :D (the nano seems a bit expensive though)
    Or maybe there are going to be some sales on the shuffles. I really like the shuffle.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I am not sure if a shuffle will play music while it is charging.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I would think that a solid state iPod would be better than a HD based one. Therefore, I would go with the Nano or the Shuffle.

How to choose between the Nano or Shuffle. For me, I think I would consider how often I would need to update the play list. If daily, then I would go with a Nano since it could easily hold a weeks worth of tunes. That would save me the hassle of updating my iPod each day. Also, it would allow for a larger selection of music to play.

Also, would there be occasions where you need to change the type of music during the day. If so, the Nano would be much easier to do.

Another issue. I am not sure if you can play the Shuffle while it is charging.

Sushi

6. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

From iPod nano dock info...

Not too sure about shuffles though. It's battery should last the full 8 hours though anyways, so you could charge it overnight.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You'll also need to look into what the royalty payments will be for using commercial music

In Canada it is
    "15A Background Music Annual fee: $1.23 per square metre or 11.46¢ per square foot; half the annual rate for establishments operating less than six months per year. (In all cases, minimum fee of $94.51)"
    http://www.socan.ca/jsp/en/resources/tariffs.jsp

http://www.bmi.com/licensing/business/groupb/faq/retail_questions.asp
    http://www.soundexchange.com/licensing101.html

The alternative is to buy a library of royalty free "elevator music" that has no recognizable popular melodies or lyrics

8. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Ewww!!! :p But that's a good point, never thought about that.