A little Extreme?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Dont Hurt Me, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Cnn reports that a couple of boys are arrested for drawing bad stickmen pictures at school. Something is wrong in the police state we have created when we start arresting children for childish drawings. I guess that makes me a career criminal. edit sorry cant get the link to work but its over at cnn.

2. Orage macrumors newbie

Oh NO!!

<GASP!>

Oh NO!!

Children are acting like... like... Like........ well........ CHILDREN!!

This just can't happen! Quick! Arrest them! Put them in Jail!!!! Call the National Guard.. the FBI.. call the White House!! We must put a stop to this!!

What a bunk of w@nkers...

3. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Link. Works fine as of now.

Yay for my state of Floriduh. :rolleyes: Welcome to the new world order of school idiocy and overreaction.

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

here is the link

Yep, a little extreme, but I don't see how it was harmful, as long as they didn't abuse the kids during the arrest process. Maybe they just wanted to scare the kids a bit more than the standard school procedures. We know nothing about these kids. Maybe they are repeatedly flouting the school rules.

Or maybe the principal's just incompetent. Can't really tell from the article.

6. Orage macrumors newbie

More likely the parents....

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Even if the kids were troublemakers, I can't think of a single justification for handcuffing them and charging them them with a felony, for God's sake, for drawing stick figures. Yes, they were violent images, and yes, they need to be addressed, but, still... handcuffs?

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

More likely the fact that they're 9-10 year old boys.

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I drew plenty of superheroes and cowboys with guns and swords in my day - and nobody ever thought it was a bad thing, but granted, it was never at all related to my classmates. I guess it was a different time. :(

10. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

I agree there.

Do to the nature of the drawings, I think couciling is needed not handcuffs and police. Unless, of course, they where actually threatening the other kid, and had means to do it.

What has this world come to.

11. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

We're raising a generation that will be totally unable to function in society without rigid unbending rules and without someone above them telling them what to do, think and feel. :mad:

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

First, the law is the law. When some one makes threats, regardless of age - they face arrest. And for the most part when an arrest is made, a person is placed in to handcuffs for the safety of all parties. If it upsets you, then get your lawmakers to change the law.

Secondly. we have created a society with the media images and video games that children are growing up much to quick IMO. Counseling might have worked back when I was a kid, but maybe not as well or as quickly with the children today. When I have a 10 year old to go f myself because he is playing ball in our parking lot (which is against the rules) and hits my car. And I tell the parents and they tell me that I should mind my own business and that their kid was right, we have serious social issues.

Maybe some of you would rather have the kids actually do the deed first before taking action.

Yeah, this is coming from someone that has been called the "liberal" of MR in the Political Forum.

13. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I have mixed feelings about this.

For the record, I don't have kids, but I'm trying to imagine how I'd feel if I were the parent of the child depicted in these drawings. What is an appropriate punishment for the boys who drew the pictures? What if they weren't nine year-olds, but were instead twelve year-olds; would that change your answer?

Some friends of ours do have a son who's in the seventh grade (he's thirteen years old). Sometime recently -- it may have been last year -- another kid at school made death threats against our friends' son. Not stick figure drawings; he said, on more than one occasion, "I'm going to kill you." I don't know the details of what led to that, but the result was that the kid who made the threat was suspended for a few days and then allowed to return to the school (after which the death threats picked up again). Our friends finally decided to transfer their son to another school when they realized the school couldn't, or wouldn't, do anything more about it.

When I hear things like this I'm reminded of a scene from the movie "The Hand That Rocks the Cradle" where some kids on the playground are picking on a little girl and her nanny (played by Rebecca De Mornay) comes over and goes off on the bullies. I have the feeling that I'd be a very overprotective father and wonder if I wouldn't react something like De Mornay's character did. :eek:

14. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I hope you understand that I'm going to have to report this infraction to the authorities. ;)

15. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Yeah. Most of the country gets one Bush, we get two. And are much more directly effected by the Jebster. Cursed Sarasotian old people.

I'm pretty sure Gainesville is the only livable town in this logic-forsaken state.

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Hey, have them come and just try to take away my ACLU card! :D

17. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

my take on it is this, and i mostly agree with what chipnovamc had to say...

if the drawings had been generic, fine. some counseling? maybe? who cares...

the fact that the drawings specifically depicted another classmate is worrisome to me. it wouldnt be the first time that young kids hurt/killed each other.

18. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Somehow I don't think that a stick figure could easily specifically depict specific people without having adults read things into it. :rolleyes:

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

We are only second guessing here, because the lack of details and facts available to us. This sort of thing needs to be addressed in broader terms IMO.

20. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Yes, that is worrisome but they should have been sent to counselling or had nice long talks with their parents. Arresting them and charging them is one of the most idiotic things I'v heard all day (you dont want to know the other :D)

21. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at, but according to the story there was no real question about who the stick figures in the drawing(s) were meant to represent: