A little font help, please.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iGary, May 1, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

OK, so yeaterday I installed a brand new 160GB HD, journaled it for OS X, swapped out my old drive as a back up, erased it, and my 120GB HD. At this point, I install Tiger on the new drive and all is OK.

Today, I install Suitcase, it initializes, super duper.

I load my fonts under Home>Library>Fonts

I have one folder labeled "Alphabetical Fonts" and one labeled "Adobe Fonts," which I drag off of my backup CD right into the Font folder under my user account.

After doing this, I can hear Spotlight busily working away indexing the 5,000 some-odd fonts, so I let it do its thing as the system is pretty much bogged down at this point.

I tried to drag the fonts into Suitcase, but it locked up during every attempt.

I restart the computer and Suitcase fails to initialize. Period. It shows as active, but the use window will not come up.

I uninstall every last piece of Suitcase, reinstall it, go through the same thing, same result.

I try this in Font Book and it totally blew up the system. I had to boot in safe mode and remove the fonts. Once I removed the fonts, startup is quick, shutdown is easy.

What is going on here? Is this a Tiger bug?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Hiya babes. :D

Seriously though, Suitcase X1?

I don't put my Suitcase-handled fonts in Library/Fonts at all. If you dump them all in there, your Mac is going to try and activate all of them at once.

Funnily enough, my main font folder is in my home folder and it's just called fonts. I disable Fontbook as much as I can, apart from those few system fonts that need to be there.

Edit: IIRC, the Suitcase X1 manual recommended storing your fonts in a folder in Documents. Install & activate from Suitcase and that should work fine.

3. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Hey girly.

So I can put those font folder ANYWHERE I want?

There are two pre-set font folders.

One is in the Library for the main HD, one is under my home folder.

I tried them in both, and X1 puked both times.

I removed Font Book altogether. I hate it, but figured I'd try. :D

4. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Ah ha. Documents.

I'm almost afraid to try this again. :rolleyes:

Thi thing I really hate is that I have like 5,000 fonts, and when I dump them in, Spotlight spends a half-hour indexing them, which slows the whole system down. :rolleyes:

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

See my edit. That's how we have it set up on the work Macs...

6. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Start with a couple of families first, then. Just to try it out.

I recommend using Sets in Suitcase. Easier to activate/deactivate lots at a time...

My work Mac has sets like:
    • Core fonts (the corporate ones)
    • Sans Display
    • Sans Body
    • Scripts
    • Decorative
    etc.

8. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Putting the fonts in FIRST (Documents), letting Spotlight index them fully, and then installing Suitcase did the trick.

Thanks sweetie. ;)

Now I just have to figure out how to get Safari to recognize Icons. :rolleyes: