A little fun at theorizing... while waiting for powerbooks

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by srobert, Aug 27, 2003.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    Ok, let's have so fun while waiting for those new powerbooks.

Here is a little concept:

If a Powerbook G4 (15 inchers) is THIS big:

Would'nt it be possible to design a desktop about THIS big?:

Could it work? If not, why is that? What specs could we reasonably expect from such a machine?

Have fun.
  2. Source macrumors member

Oct 9, 2002
    You cut a Powerbook in half and then ripped its guts out!?!? There's nothing in that Powerbook, it's empty!!

With 1.8inch hard drives in MP3 players, I supposed you could ask, when are we going to see 60GB PDAs?

Although another question could be, what's the point? The thing that makes computers expensive is specialized parts and a computer like that would definitely require a custom motherboard.

Also, if it's just going to be sitting on or near your desk, why does it need to be so small? Wouldn't it be better to have a larger computer with proper fans than a small one that has to be less powerful so that it doesn't run too hot (with smaller fans)?

So basically: I'm absolutely positive that it's possible to have a computer that small, with a DVD-R drive, decent processor and a good amount of ram (2Gb). But I don't think there's any need for it. Not right now anyway. :)
  3. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    hmm... smaller space will limit the stuff you can fit in it... you won't be able to fit the latest and the greatest because of cooling concerns... but you can take out the battery, so that will give you quite a bit more space...

ok, someone sick of their old and antiquated 15" Ti take it apart and fit the parts into a re-molded Ti case. :D

it can certainly be done. iMac already uses SODIMM RAM modules usually used in laptops because of the small profile...

wasn't there a Sun server with a very small footprint a looooong (~10 years?) ago?
  4. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    Normally I'd schold you and ask you to stay on topic... but since this thread is about fun, I'll simply toss a bunch of confettis at ya: . : . ?· · . ? ? :

About the cruel gutting out of the powerbook. Sometimes we must make sacrifices for the sake of science and the greater good. What's one dead powerbook copared to the benefits of the creation of a new breed of stronger, smaller, more powerfull mutant desktops!... beside, that powerbook was a hobo powebook and nobody will care... and he DID sign is read_me.txt organ donation file.
  5. jzieske macrumors regular

Jun 28, 2003
    Bloomington, MN
    Two Questions

Could it be done = Yes
    Should it be done = No

The iMac is a good example of how it could be done but I do not think it is very practical.
  6. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    Ok, we gut out the Battery. Taking out the keyboard will add a tiny winy bit more space.

So what do we put in that space? Better cooling system?

Maybe we could use an external power supply, like for the cube so the thing does'nt get too big and hot.

I guess we only need one hard drive. There are some pretty big (Gig wise) portable one these days.

No LCDs = Lower cost

What else... vat to do, vat to do?

And about the following:

So it's SEXY baby! Sure, it'll drice prices up a litlle (hmm... mayby more than a little) but smaller is better, cooler. (cool as in kewl, not temperature ^_^) I love small footprints. You can't start to imagine where I fit my G4 cube. (No dirty thoughts here)
  7. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    Re: Two Questions

Yes indeed. The iMac fills a SIMILAR niche.

I do not need a lot of processing power for what I do. (Graphic Design and some web) But I DO need a lot of real estate (screen size) 17 inches is a little small. That's why I don't own a iMac. Also, it's sad to throw away a perfectly good 17 incher LCD when the iMac is not powerfull for your needs anymore.

I don't say it SHOULD be done, I only wana know if it COULD and what it WOULd be like.

Also, many people suggested that there is a niche for cube like systems. (Lower powered models with no screens) The price would have to be right though.
  8. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    My main question is: what does thorizing mean? Did you mean theorizing? ;)

Back on topic: No it should not be done. You are sacrificing too much for little gain and in the end the engineering would be too expensive to make it a cheap headless unit. At least the PB is portable.

I keep going back to it, but the cube would have been the perfect "headless" unit if it would have been $200 or more cheaper.
  9. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    Then how about making it stand vertically. (Slower CD drive?)

And let's make it a little wider by one powerbook slice.

Better? This would be a very impresssive little piece of hardware to have on a desk. Let's keep playing.