A little help form you..

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BabyLemonade, Nov 8, 2006.

1. BabyLemonade macrumors newbie

Right first things first, i am a student in the UK and i have a passion for macs, as i am guessing so do you all, otherwise why would you be here. Well it turns out that i'm so obsessed with my mac and the whole mac culture that i decided to do my 3rd year dissertation about the effects of mac's on society and the cult status that they hold. You may be thinking to yourself well good for you mate, but why shoud we care, and the truth is you don't have to if you don't want to. However i would like to talk to some of you as you are in the same situation as me some of you may find yourself in infactuation with your mac i sure as hell do with mine (i mean all that rage that i feel when a pc user calls my mac a pc "it's not a pc it's a mac"). I'm writing a brief set of questions at then moment just to discover abit more of what it is that draws people to mac's if you think that you may be interested in helping me out, just pop a comment on this thread and tell me alittle about your mac and your realtionship with it (nothing to personal please lol, i joke) if you'd prefer drop me a message to my email babylemonademac@hotmail.co.uk if you think that you would be interested in taking part in the questionnaire this is probably the best thing to do as well, look forward to hopefully getting to know some of you. Baby Lemonade.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

3. BabyLemonade thread starter macrumors newbie

well technically yeah its a personal computer, but its classed as a mac not a pc.

4. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

It looks like we've got ourselves another 1 post spammer.

5. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

I hate it when people register just for that.

:rolleyes:

6. BabyLemonade thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm not a one post spammer i am really conducting this dissertation, and talking to real mac users is ofcoarse a great way to learn how people use/react towards their macs.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What's wrong with the original poster or this thread?

8. BabyLemonade thread starter macrumors newbie

i think its beceause i'm a "newbie" and therefore looks like i may be some idiot who just posts a topic about nothing then waits for replies then spends there time thinking up witty retourts just so they can feel big, but thats not what this is about.

9. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

But the only reason you registered was to ask for help right?

10. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Wasn't that the point of his original post? :confused:

11. BabyLemonade thread starter macrumors newbie

not help in the sense that you are going to do the work for me, i am looking to become part of the community and understand more about the subject. Is that acceptable?

12. Kolind macrumors regular

Not quite sure what exactly you are looking for, but I'll write a bit and maybe you can use it.
    I use pc at the moment, but used to have an iBook and just ordered a MacBook Pro.
    My computer is a tool as well as a toy, so I need something which is fun - but works. For me the argument is not really Mac vs. Dell/HP/whatever, it's more OS X vs. Windows. OS X just works better for me, and it's more fun too.
    Of course it also helps that all the macs look better than most of the pc's you can get. Even if I prefered windows over OS X, I would still prefer to run it on a mac, as I also see the computer as a piece of furniture. In that way it's no different than my TV or my couch... I prefer it to look good.

And even though a lot of my Windows-using friends would call me a mac-zealot, I'm pretty sure that if Windows suddenly became a better alternative than OS X, then I'd switch back to Windows. (I'm writing this on a pc with Windows Vista, and I'm not impressed so far...).

Hope you can use some of it - otherwise let us know more specifically what kind of information you are looking for.

13. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

It's perfectly acceptable and I don't know why people are taking issue.

To actually answer your question....

I must say I'm a bit obsessed with my Mac. It's difficult to pinpoint what exactly is so appealing but I think the main things are: just how easy things are to do on them, how stunning they look, the feel of them, just everything about them makes them great. They take the hassle out of doing things so that you actually get things done.

Now I know that all sounds terribly cliché, but they are truly the reasons I love Macs.

Good luck with your dissertation! :)

14. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

When I have been alone, just me and my Mac, I have been known to do illegal things...:cool: :D

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't mind if a Mac user registers here and asks the Mac community for help on his project. It's a fuss over nothing, really.

I use Macs because they're easy to use. That's all. They're pretty, but so are the laptops from a few other companies. I bought mine because it helps me do what I want to do, and it doesn't get in the way by making things difficult. With WinXP, I got the same 2 viruses each week (Lovemm and Bugbear, I think), and I had to get rid of them. That, plus running Adaware (is that still popular?) each week was annoying. I didn't mind the operating system, but I don't worry about my Mac at all.

I use it not because it brings me joy, but because it doesn't bring me grief and stress.

16. BabyLemonade thread starter macrumors newbie

These are all ace replys and excatly what i'm looking for as you all have different attitudes towards your mac's, i guess its only fair that i share my history with Apple with you all. Well if the true be told I'm not much of a computer wiz, i knew my way around and that was that, my brother on the other hand knew how to do this that would simply bewilder me. My dad had always been somewhat of a enthusiat towards niche thing and he had a string of old acorn's this was my first encounter with any type of computers and I recall that it had a soundbyte on it "I'd rather die than own a PC". Then the obvious happened my dad brought a PC (still alive i must add) so then i would use that i was happy with it. (At this point i should really point out that the UK is really behind in Apple knowledge it wasn't until the clickwheel ipod that the majority of society had even heard of Apple). My brother got his first Mac about 6 years ago, a powerbook and i was instanly in love, every chance i would get i would steal it and just play with it, he also had a ipod second gen, and i was the first person i knew that had one (well stole it and took it to college to show everyone). I eventually got my own Mac about 4 years ago an eMac, and well the rest is history, i'm now a 3rd sudent studying Digital Media, creating Music Video's and 3D elements and i don't think i could even go back to Windows. I'm not sure what it is that encaptures me about my mac, there's just something ace about it. keep the stories coming, its ace to learn there are more like me.

17. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

I've never actually used a Mac but ever since I started to read this forum I've been curious about the differences. I have a Toshiba Sattelite laptop at home and it works great for me. I also use a PC at work (like now) but i would really like to get a Mac of some sort. I cannot, however justify it because I recently bought the laptop. I replace computers every 10-12 years so I don't think there is a hurry.....

By the way, I don't mind if you register and ask for honest help either. I doubt that I have been of any help though.:D

18. BabyLemonade thread starter macrumors newbie

No that is helpfull, it gives a completly new spin onto things, like the sense of a whole community thing, you don't have to own an Mac to be part of it and the admiration towards Mac's isn't just felt by only Mac users.

19. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

It is acceptable of course, it just could have started out differently is all. It probably would have helped your cause to slowly (but quickly) ease yourself in by posting and discussing several other things first, kind of like building a foundation. It just looks bad when a question like yours comes as the first post. Of course not all your answers will be met here either. You do need to become part of the community by getting involved in some of the other threads and not just this one. A lot can be found by reading what people say all over this forum.

I personally have found that my opinion on Macs has changed slightly from when I switched almost exactly 2 years ago. At first I was ultra zealous for Macs trying to get everyone I knew to switch. As time has gone on about 25% of those I tried to convince eventually did. Now I find myself not pushing it as much on people. I've decided that no one ever wants to be pushed, so if someone asks me why, I'll give them a ear full, but I don't publisize my zealoushness as much as I used to. Plus I think a little part of me doesn't want TONS of people switching. I haven't figured why I feel that way yet though...