A little help here [Apple codenames]

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tarje, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Tarje macrumors newbie

Nov 4, 2003
    Hi guys,

I have questions about OS X; is my homework, and I've been looking around and find nothing about it. Homework consists to know the meaning of the next codenames of Apple products:

I found out that Pink is the codename for a version of the OS X, but don't know exactly which one. 'bout the other two i have no idea what they mean, even if they're right spelled.

I hope you can help me.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Taligent would go with Pink, but I'm not sure about the last.

Pink was an object-oriented operating system designed by Apple. IBM was working on something similar and worked with Apple in a join company called Taligent. It later ended up as much less than an operating system--an operating environment.
  3. Tarje thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 4, 2003
    My mistake

Yes, actually i kinda misspelled the codenames :eek: , Taligent and Copland. I found this:

Thanks bousozoku! :) :D

If someone needs info about other codenames, visit http://www.theapplemuseum.com/index.php?id=tam&page=codenames
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002

If you want to know about the codenames behind OS X -- you'll need to look at the history of NeXT and pick up some of the Rhapsody history (Which is Mac OS X Server 1.0) -- first edition of Mac OS X that failed with developers due to the effort to port the apps to the new OS.

Mac OS X v10 added added Classic/Carbon and made the transition for users (and developers) rather easy.

If you call losing a lot of apps that diddled h/w and old scanners/printers easy.

Copland & Pink/Taligent were Apple previous efforts to create the next generation OS -- failures.

Though a lot of Copland features got rolled into System 8&9.
  5. Doraemon macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2001
    Europe (EU)