A little levity...Is George Bush really Frank Burns?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Black&Tan, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I've been watching a lot of M*A*S*H lately, TV Land is doing a marathon. M*A*S*H was supposed to be a political commentary on the Vietnam War, but I'm wondering if it's even more relevant today. And after about two days it finally hit me...Frank Burns sounds an awful lot like our current President! I've done a bit of searching for quotes and these are what I came up with...

Frank: I didn't come here to be liked.
    Hawkeye: You certainly came to the right place.

Frank: I think you will all agree that by trying to introduce more discipline, more order, I have hopefully made this a more enjoyable war for all of us. Leadership is a lonely business. Your Napoleons, your Kaisers, your Attilas the Hun, were alone there in the front office as I have been this week. I have thought of you.

Frank: I've gotten thank-you notes from people I said I'd never see again.

Frank: This was a great war until you guys showed up!

Frank: What I don't understand is why do people take an instant dislike to me?
    Trapper: It saves time, Frank.

Frank: I have never cared, and at this point I don't care twice as much as I never cared before!

Frank: Marriage is probably the chief cause of divorce.

Frank: I'm sick of hearing about the wounded! What about the thousands of wonderful men who are fighting this war without any of the credit or the glory that always goes to those lucky few who just happen to get shot?

Margaret: You lied to me, Frank! That's worse than stealing!
    Frank: Well, I happen to think that stealing is worse than lying!
    Margaret: And you did both!
    Frank: So I oughta know!

Frank: Without discipline, an army is no more than a bunch of guys all wearing the same colour clothes.

B.J.: On the very first day, Frank observed that the M in MASH stood for Mobile. So, he had us break down the entire unit and move it across the road.

Frank: The way I see it, unless we each conform, unless we obey orders, unless we follow our leaders blindly, there is no possible way we can remain free.

Frank: It was one of those days that, more than most, reminds us that war, no matter how much we may enjoy it, is no strawberry festival.

Frank: I happen to believe in the sanctity of marriage, no matter how ugly or disgusting it gets!

Frank: We all know it's brutal up there at the front, especially those of us at the rear.

Frank: Talking to Major Houlihan is the same as talking to me as we are intimate with each other at all times.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I see what you're getting at. It's almost as if Larry Gelbart had a prescient vision of Dubya.

One of my favorite Frank Burns-like Bush quotes is (and I'm quoting from memory here): "Our enemies never stop plotting and planning ways to harm America...and neither do we."

3. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Some of those quotes are uncanny.....very similar to things Bush has actually said:

"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror." --George W. Bush, interview with CBS News' Katie Couric, Sept. 6, 2006

"I would guess, I would surmise that some of the more spectacular bombings are done by al Qaeda suiciders." --George W. Bush, on violence in Iraq, Washington, D.C., Aug. 21, 2006

You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test.
    - George W. Bush (2000?)

I think we agree, the past is over.
    - US President George W. Bush (May 10, 2000)

"There's an old...saying in Tennessee...I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee that says Fool me once...(3 second pause)... Shame on...(4 second pause)...Shame on you....(6 second pause)...Fool me...Can't get fooled again." --George W. Bush to Nashville, Tennessee audience, Sept. 17, 2002

4. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Curious George Lives!!

"The only way we can win is to leave before the job is done." --George W. Bush, Greeley, Colo., Nov. 4, 2006
    --And based on that circular reasoning, the only way to withdraw is to send in more troops...

"We're never been stay the course, George." --George W. Bush, attempting to distance himself from what has been his core strategy in Iraq for the last three years, interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos, Oct. 22, 2006
    --At least not since this morning...

"I will not withdraw, even if Laura and Barney are the only ones supporting me." --George W. Bush, talking to key Republicans about Iraq, as quoted by Bob Woodward
    --because, I am the president...

"I've reminded the prime minister-the American people, Mr. Prime Minister, over the past months that it was not always a given that the United States and America would have a close relationship." George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., June 29, 2006
    --Huh?

I know you all believe you understand what you think he said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what he meant.