A little Mac help, please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by paprika05, Sep 21, 2006.

1. paprika05 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have an ibook G4. Something happened that changed some setting, now whenever I try to download something, or open an email attachment, or drag something from the desktop to the trash, a message pops up that says I can't do it because I have "insufficient privileges".

Also, when I go to do something with files (trash them, whatever) a box with a locked padlock symbol comes up and it says "Finder Requires that you type your Password". I type my password and that's when the "insufficient permission" deal comes up.

I believe that unlike PC, I think, on Macs an administrator has the same kind of power/privileges as a normal user so Im just stuck.

Is there a way around this problem or do I have to put in the disks and just totally erase and re-install OSX?

Im a student and this is obviously for school so Id like to do as much without having to resort to reinstalling the whole deal.

Any and all help is much appreciated. Thanks.

2. JDN macrumors 6502a

Go to disk utilities and repair permissions?!

Im a newbie too, but it sounds like it would work.

Disclaimer: If it all goes wrong, im not to blame.

3. paprika05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive already opened up the Disk Utility (it's in Applications -> Utilities), selected the main hard drive, and clicked on "Repair Privileges." I hasnt changed anything. Thanks though.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

5. paprika05 thread starter macrumors newbie

My guess is that I somehow set himself up as a user, and I dont remember the Admin password. I went through Help again and tried to re-set the admin password with the OS-X startup disk but everything just froze, couldn't even move the cursor to get anywhere, I had to power it off and on just to get the disk out.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You need to try restting the password with the installer CD again.

7. paprika05 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. paprika05 thread starter macrumors newbie

No dice man. I tried it and it froze on me. ****, Im SOL arent I?

9. meepm00pmeep macrumors 6502

meepm00pmeep

you might need to reinstall OSX then, but you won't be able to by just inserting the cd/dvd because it will ask for a password, all you can do is reboot and hold down the C button to boot from the disc

10. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Before you reinstall select your Documents folder (for example) and Get Info (Command-I). Under Ownership & Permissions make sure it is set to Read & Write. If not, and you can change it, check the Change All Enclosed box. It's worth a try. Good luck.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Without knowing the password, however, this is a real problem.

12. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Boot into single-user mode (press Command-S on keyboard).
    Type these commands in order. Press return after each one and wait until they finish. For the third one, you can press enter if it gets stuck on acquiring network address.

Code:
    fsck -fy
    mount -uw /
    sh /etc/rc
    passwd <username>
    reboot
    This set of commands checks your disk, mounts it as read-write, loads some startup things, changes your password for your user account, and reboots.