A little pen accident

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SkyBell, Nov 9, 2006.

1. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Earlier today, I stuffed a pen into my pocket. Later I reached for it, and took it out, only to discover it had busted, and leaked black ink everywhere. Unfortunatly, my iPod Shuffle 1st gen was in the same pocket at the time, so it got covered in ink too. It still works, but it's really ugly. :)

What is the best solution to getting the ink off this thing. without ruining it?

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Yikes! I've not used one of these myself, but I know a lot of people swear by Mr Clean Magic Erasers (I think they're called that) to keep their Apple gear in tip top condition. Maybe one of those might be worth a try?

3. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

4. Lau Guest

Lighter fluid is splendid for cleaning things, and it's safe on most things. However, plastic is notoriously dodgy with chemicals, so test it first. As Jaffa Cake says, a magic eraser is a good bet, just don't press too hard as they are slightly abrasive.

5. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Post a pic?

I would, but I don't have a camera.:( Let's just say its covered except for the right side of the control wheel, and the back is mostly untouched except for the bottem left side

It's times like these I'm glad I always keep the cap on. :D

6. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Get the new silver Shuffle.

(That is what you wanted to be told, yes?)

7. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

No, I like being able to plug my shuffle in without a dock. I need to know how to get this ink off. I plan to use this shuffle until it breaks

8. garfield2002 macrumors regular

I would stay away from the magic eraser as it is indeed abrasive. In the lab I use plain ethanol to 'unlabel' or take out most pen inks. You might also try goo gone. :)

9. dcv macrumors G3

You can get some quite cool stick-on skins for the Shuffle, so as long as the buttons aren't too badly covered, that could be one solution.

I've always wanted to do this to mine: :cool:

[​IMG]

10. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Went to Wal-Mart and bought myself an $8.00 digital camera, just so I could take these pics. Here is the Shuffle I managed to get some of the ink off with water, but the rest won't come off.

Attached Files:

11. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Wow, those pics are right out of a horror film... :eek:

12. eb6 macrumors regular

Just cover the rest in ink. Then its a black shuffle.

13. Lau Guest

Eek. What kind of ink/pen was it?

Did you have any luck with the lighter fluid or the Magic Eraser?

14. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

It was a papermate pen. I'm not sure what you mean by kind of ink. it was black. and it came out of a pen

I didn't try either. I don't want to mess up my shuffle just cuz I can't see sh*t without my glasses (Which are currently lost)

Do they make Cases for the shuffle that look exactly like an uncovered shuffle?

15. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I was gonna say the same thing. :D You'll be the envy of the town!

16. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Well the only good thing to come out of this: The Apple and iPod logo now have a blue-grey-color...:D

17. dcv macrumors G3

The site that I got the Damien Hirst skin pic from also sells some plain skins on page 7, unfortunately it doesn't look like they have a white one though. A Google search might find you one.

Most shuffle cases are silicon or plastic and tend to be a bit see-through. I've got an aluminium one with a clip made by Core Cases which you could also consider. (Obviously this isn't quite the same thing as "uncovered" though!)

18. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

19. Lau Guest

I meant whether it was biro ink, or fountain/cartridge pen ink, and that can be permanent type, or non-permanent. Not that I know which would be easier to get off or anything, but I know biro ink can leave a yellowy stain even if you get it off, and that black cartridge pen ink is a bitch to get off anything.

I dunno what to suggest then, as if you don't want to try any of them and you're willing to just cover it up, fair enough. I reckon using something chemically might be a good idea though. These links might help, in spite of being more for soft furnishings:

http://www.fabriclink.com/Stains/Carpet/Ink-fountain.cfm
    http://www.pendemonium.com/ink_facts.htm
    http://www.woolfurnishings.com/inforoom/stainremoval/infostain3.html

Looking at them, isopropyl alcohol might be a good thing to try.

20. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

try regular old rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol, with a little elbow grease (or not) it gets most things clean and is safe on plastic AFAIK. it's worth a shot.

21. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I wouldn't do anything- it's unique, and as long as the ink isn't rubbing off on all your stuff, I wouldn't do anything about it. It's the first iPod to have been made in cow.

22. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Note to self...never buy 8.00 dollar digital camera!;)

Still those pics are crazy! i'd try that magic clean eraser idea!

Or get on of those new sexy shuffles!

23. fatandlazy11 macrumors member

fatandlazy11

24. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Ya, you're right. The ink isn't hurting anything, and I gotta admit, it does look cool.:cool:

I'll try the alcohol eventually, because I know I'll get tired of the look. :)

25. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Just tell people you got the new iPod shuffle cow edition. Everyone will want one. (EDIT: That would have been funnier if PDPFILMS hadn't already said it...)

If not, I would suggest turpentine/paint thinner, but I'm betting that is not safe on plastic/electronics in general so try the alcohol first.