a little question regarding classic

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by inkybmistro, Apr 14, 2004.

1. inkybmistro macrumors newbie

i recently bought a custom-built G4, which came with OSX installed. however, i realized that when i tried to run programs that were built to run on OS9, it wouldn't work. when i try to run classic, it says that i have no classic system folder. how can i remedy this dismal problem?

i have OS9. should i just install that as well? o_O;

thanks.

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

For starters, search the forums before posting - there are many (if not hundreds of) threads on this very topic.

Second, do you have Jaguar System Restore CDs. If so, you can boot from those and install classic support.

3. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Check your hard disk to see if there's a folder called 'System Folder' at root level. If there's not, then yes you will have to install Mac OS 9. If it is there, then go to System Preferences->Classic and make sure the System Folder is selected.

Also note that to use Classic you must have at least a specific version of OS 9 (it's either 9.1 or 9.2, I can't remember). You can download patches free from Apple if necessary.

4. inkybmistro thread starter macrumors newbie

i tried installing OS9, but apparently i can only install it if i have classic running already...which is impossible. what should i do now?

i don't have the OS X disc, but i could get it.

5. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Try booting from the install CD (insert, restart, then hold down C during startup to do this). Failing that, insert it and see if there's a system folder on it that you can just copy to your hard drive.

Otherwise, you'll need a software restore CD (Mac OS X CD won't do).