A look at the U2 iPod

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Dec 1, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. macrumors 68000

May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live
    i didn't like there new album... so i would have no desire to buy this unless U2 wasn't all over it.
  3. macrumors 68040

Jan 7, 2004
    Purcellville, VA
    Does this come as any surprise?

Why would you pay an extra $50 for U2-styled colors if you don't like U2's music and therefore won't use the bundled iTMS coupon ($50 off of the $150 U2 box set.)

If all you want is a colored 4G iPod, you can buy one from ColorWare PC in any of 20 colors and not have to worry about any U2 stuff getting near it :)
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jun 22, 2004
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I like U2's new album... but I dont think the U2 iPod is worth the extra 50 bucks they are asking for it.

And I thought it was supposed to come pre-loaded with the complete U2 Collection, or at least given free to buyers of the U2 iPod... but its only $50 off... but I guess it makes sense... you pay $50 more for the iPod, and get a $50 iTMS Gift Certificate to fund the purchase the U2 Collection...
  5. macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    I thought it was going to come preloaded aswell. I think it would have been better just to charge an extra $100 and preload the thing with all the songs then to offer a $50 coupon off the itunes store. You would think that that would be worth it to Apple to sell more iPods then a measly $50 from the music store.

I guess I can't really tell Apple how to run their business though seeing that their stock is at record highs. :D
  6. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    I think the coupon may have been a good compromise--you're paying $50 for the U2 on the back and the unusual color... and SOME people will pay that for the color alone. I might, if I liked it better than white.

A higher price that included ALL the songs instead of $50-off would have been convenient, but would have appealed to fewer people. (Plus, if they were actually pre-loaded, Apple would have needed a software solution to DRM the songs WITHOUT an account tied to them, and then tie them to your account after the fact. Imagine the legal hassles alone every time there's a change to the DRM system.)
  7. macrumors 65816

Jul 24, 2002
    Champaign, IL
    If it came preloaded it would violate the Apple Corp/Apple Comp. agreement for sure. The agreement states that Apple Comp. wont dist. music on a physical medium. A harddrive is such a medium.
  8. macrumors 6502a

Nov 12, 2003
    you also have to think if someone is a big enough U2 fan to shell out an extra $50 for different colors and etched signatures, it's a good bet they own a lot of U2 albums already and might not want to "pay" to own them all again.

on a separate note, i'm not a huge fan of U2, but i'm tempted to purchase the box set just to see what the experience is like. that's a load of tracks on the box set.
  9. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    Apparently even if you have all the studio albums, you get over 100 rare and live tracks, so many fans will still find the $99 worth it once they have the iPod.

Plus there's the digital liner notes :D
  10. macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    The other problem with pre loading is this: how would you get the music onto your computer? Wouldn't it be erased as soon as you synced with iTunes?
  11. 210
    macrumors regular

Mar 3, 2004
    London, England
    I have the iPod US Special Edition and I have to say it is a work of art. Also, as iPods are becoming more the norm now to see in the public, it's nice to show off something different ;)