A lucky pedestrian

Discussion in 'Community' started by wdlove, Sep 10, 2004.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Wow. Always amazing how a matter of seconds one way or another can change your life. If the guy had been crossing the street 10 seconds earlier or later, he would've been scott free. 1 second earlier or later and he may well have been dead since it would have affected where the car rolled onto him.

Sure, he shouldn't have been there in the first place if he obeyed the traffic signal, but how many of us have done the exact same thing?

3. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Looking at the video, he would've been hit by the Subaru, even if the other car hadn't ran the red light. While the PT Cruiser shouldn't have ran the light, it's as much the pedestrian's fault that he was hit. Now if he was on the sidewalk, it'd be a whole different thing, but they have those crosswalks there for a reason, and the signals too. It's still a miracle that he survived. Maybe he'll think twice before crossing the street next time...

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

WOW. For the love of fudge.. That dude is one lucky jaywalker.

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

6. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

Really makes you think twice when walking down the street. Jaywalking or not - this could still happen to you.

7. akboarder24 macrumors member

He wouldn't have been hit by the Subaru, it was traveling in the left most lane. Scary none the least, just the impact of the Suby hitting you would break you off!

8. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

He obviously started crossing as there was a large break in the traffic (even against the light, all too many people are only concerned about their own time, with a large break in traffic and would cross. He was probably running to cross the street, not running to avoid the crash). The collision of the PT Cruiser deflected the Subaru towards the curb. Had the PT not run the light, the guy would have been fine.
    And yes, he was very lucky to survive being rolled over.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That is not right! Wow - I'd love to know what the guy thinks today. Being given a second chance would definitely make you adjust your perspective on life.

D

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

What is jaywalking? I hear the term a bit on American TV shows, movies, etc but I don't have a clue what it means :confused:

Edit: And now, having watched the video, :eek: :( :(

11. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Jaywalking is when you cross a street against a red light (the cars on the street you are crossing have a green light) or if you cross outside of a crosswalk.

12. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

Jaywalking is when you cross a street illegally. I know that here in Boston and NYC pedestrians will cross in the middle of the street or any where along the street. That is classic jaywalking. Pedestrians are to cross at a crosswalk, but only with a walk light. The person in the film crossed without the walk light so is likely to receive a ticket.

I hope that both the driver in the PT Cruiser and the pedestrian have learned a lesson.

13. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Yeah I remember reading this month's ago. The video was on eBaums World. It was only until later the story came out behind it claiming it was real, then snopes picked it up to confirm to all of us.

iJon

14. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

i saw this video on eBaums world... i believe...

when i first saw it i thought for sure he was dead.

amazing that he survived

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Somebody here posted a link to that video a few weeks ago, but without the explanation and without the snopes link. Thanks, wdlove, for bringing us the news in a most helpful way.

16. Dros macrumors 6502

You can see the guy notice the crash and take two rapid steps up to running speed to get out of the way. Of course, it didn't help at all. In movies and TV it always seems possible to run and scoop up the baby in front of the speeding car, etc, but in real life 30 mph is much too fast for any sort of action.

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

:eek:

Over here, you can cross wherever you like.

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You also don't have even half the traffic of Boston, never mind our entire country :p

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

20. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

It should be noted, so our international friends don't picture Andy Griffith locking up jaywalkers left and right, that jaywalking is so rarely enforced that one would probably be offended if one were cited for it. Hell, friday night I ran across a 4-lane during heavy traffic, jaywalking, and made a cop slow down to avoid me and they still didn't even look back at me. Maybe it's more common in larger cities, has anyone here ever actually gotten a ticket for it?

paul

21. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

In Japan, its common for people to ONLY cross on corners, its very rare for them to cross in the middle of a street. 99% of the people do as they are told even if there is no traffic, they do not cross. If they do cross and its a red man, its still the drivers fault.

Pedestrains have right of way, either way anyway. But while I was in Tokyo last week, they have a sign showing the number of deaths in the city, they have had 0 deaths and only about 250 incidents, not bad considering its on of the biggest cities in the world!

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I have a friend who got a ticket for jaywalking. She was crossing in the middle of the street in front of the high school. But that's the only case I've ever heard of. At schools, they often have safety crackdowns because of all the absent-minded students and especially the absent-minded parents dropping off their kids in a hurry on their way to work.

23. nizz macrumors regular