A Mac Battle to Fight

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iSuck, Sep 25, 2004.

1. iSuck macrumors member

iSuck

Yeah, Guys, i've been looking around the net and one of my friends suggested I post a thread on this forum to get your views. Next year I'm wondering if I should purchase a Mac Laptop of anysort. I use Macs at school already, mainly eMacs, and I find them quite easy to use, but the school restrict us soo much with the macs that I don't know the full potential.

Im using my 2.4 ghg Pentium 4 with XP Home edition for everything, and i only find a few problems.

1. It's slow...I guess it's cause i have soo much crap on it. With macs, will it get slow quickly or does it get slower depending on how much i have on it.

2.It drains me. My PC is annoying, i hate the interface, BLUE IS A CRAP COLOUR, i know you can use silver and green, but the Olive green is truly disgusting. I suggest that the creators of the Windows interface are fired, QUICKLY. (I do use a new face, ive changed my pc too look nice now)

I know PC so well and im afraid that when i get a mac, i will have to learn a whole new system, luckily macs are easy to use, but i wanna get to know the back routes of mac quicker,

one last thing. How come i can't acces hidden folders on macs?

Ok well, convince me, WHY SHUD I GET A MAC..
    ps. excuse my english, its 1:30 in the morning over here.

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I know that the problem of the computer slowing down when the hard drive gets full is not as pronounced on Mac. That being said, I have had 15MB available (yes, 15MB) and still not had significant slow downs.

3. iSuck thread starter macrumors member

iSuck

I see.
    Well I have 1 gb left. computer runs average, KEEP IN MIND!
    I HAVE NEVER EVER HAD THE PC FREEZE ON ME AND HAD TO RESTART ME...
    And....THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH...IVE NEVER SEEN IT ON THIS COMP....

i guess this pc is average, too slow and cant multi task

4. iSuck thread starter macrumors member

iSuck

So why get a mac?
    Keep in mind i've been to Apple Switch, not really appealing to me

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Well, you don't have to deal with viruses/spyware/adware. You get awesome iLife apps FREE with any new computer. You get a machine that is built from high-quality parts, and a solid service and support system to back up it's manufacture. And you become the owner of a machine that a community like many at MacRumors are proud to own and are eager to help you through any problems you may encounter while switching over.

6. iSuck thread starter macrumors member

iSuck

Very true, also another thing im looking forward too with a mac is the fact that when I open my laptop at a library or something, peoples heads will turn.

In Australia, we are a very big PC nation. So That will be interesting.

7. sethypoo macrumors 68000

8. iSuck thread starter macrumors member

iSuck

Woah, Nice essay mate..
    A+ From me........I dunno, my head seems convinced but my heart is PC!
    AHHHH

I want an apple but I dont wanna leave PC!

9. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

At least you admit you have a problem, and that's half the battle right there! ;) What exactly is it about the PC that you don't want to 'give up'?

10. iSuck thread starter macrumors member

iSuck

The fact that I know it inside and out and I have power of it....
    Like, if it screws up, i can bitch slap it back into power!

Hhahaha

I dunno, i guess it's sorta the freedom too

Like programs and downloads.... many don't work on mac...

Then again there is Virtual Pc?
    But macs have wot i need!

dvd player
    dvd burner
    cd burner and player
    internet
    word processing
    msn messenger - A MUST FOR ME
    graphics
    macromedia flash and adobe photoshop

i need gaming though!

i wanna play GTA VC Online on a mac, any answer for that?

11. sethypoo macrumors 68000

I had the same feelings when I switched from a PC to my Mac. I was really, really worried that all my beloved PC programs would never match up to anything Apple could offer me. Well, I was wrong.

The Mac platform offers just about anything you need for any project you want to accomplish. If your Mac goes belly up, you can still "bitch slap it" back into power. You'll just have to learn the special ways we Mac users bitch slap" our computers, just as you learned how to "bitch slap" your PC.

It'll take a month or so, but you'll soon me wondering why you ever liked your PC so much. As to not having enough software, I have never run into that problem.

12. sethypoo macrumors 68000

For GTA VC Online, I'd reccommend Virtual PC 7 (or the latest build of it). I think it might actually run on a Mac, double check on that.....or I will.

13. iSuck thread starter macrumors member

iSuck

GTA VC Will work on macs, but the online program known as

All Seeing Eye: MTA Wont, and running GTA VC ONLINE THROUGH VIRTUAL PC WILL BE LAGGY AS HELL!

I love your use of "Bitch slap" ahahaha

Yeah well i get the laptop of my choice at start of december, school starts back up at start of january, plus im going on holidays, so i have a month and 2 weeks to stuff around with it, and extra time with it when i go overseas!

14. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Just becuase you want a Mac laptop doesn't mean that you have to ditch the PC world does it? I still have my trusty Dell Dimension 4300* sitting next to me in my dorm room.

Hell I am even listening to music on iTunes from it.

I think that the Mac laptop / PC desktop combo is a great idea, especially if you are new switcher. For one thing how many people play high end games on a laptop to begin with? I have always viewed laptops as a more professional computer than a desktop PC anyways (that is open for debate if you really care that much...it's just a general rule I have). Also as far as laptops go Mac's are by far the best, in both appearence and reliability.

Now why I admit that my Mac is used much more than my PC, there are a few reasons for that:

1. I am not a Microsoft fan...
    2. I am out of deskspace and don't have the money at this time to get a small desk. Thus the PC is on the floor.
    3. OS X is prettier to look at and more fun to use than Windows.
    4. I just like my Mac better?
    5. Did I mention that I am not really a Microsoft fan?

I see no reason for you to have to choose one way or another unless you are planning on selling the PC to get a new Mac...

Mike

*This is not a true Dell Dimension. IT WAS! But no longer is. The computer is about 3 years old...to save time here is what it is today:

Darkstar Shrike
    Intel Pentium 4 @ 1.5 Ghrz
    512 RAM
    80 gig primary hdd
    200 gig secondary hdd
    SoundBlaster Live! 5.1
    GeForce FX 5200 w/ Dual Monitor outputs
    CD/DVD Rom drive
    CD-Writer drive
    Firewire and USB (soon)

15. iSuck thread starter macrumors member

iSuck

Im not saying im gonna ditch my pc, The pc i have now and im sing now will always be at home but the apple laptop will be my main computer from now on....what about the online gaming problem, still no answer!

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It may be necessary on a PC, but you don't need to bitch slap a computer that never acts bitchy.

Punish her, and she still comes back for more.

And if you're so keen on using a PC, stick with a PC. You want power over a Mac? You realize there's a learning curve, right? This ain't the Matrix. You're not going to learn the Mac way by downloading it into your brain.

If you like PCs because you know them well, then get one. Nothing wrong with PCs, despite what some people here will tell you. ;) Don't give up your power over PCs if that's so important to you. Get a faster PC if your old one is slow. You can also game online with it. You won't be gaming too much on a Mac. Its not really comparable.

Done.

17. iSuck thread starter macrumors member

iSuck

Nah dude, im pretty convince I wanna mac, like 90% positive

Problems i got now are

I want a 15' Powerbook....will the parents pay? lol

And im still in a worry here bout gta vc, cuz during class i wanna play my mates

18. sethypoo macrumors 68000

GTA VC on Virtual PC 7 won't be laggy! Not with a new 15" PB!

My roommate played online with GTA VC with VPC and he did fine.

19. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

on what mac exactly?, the mouse lags on windows xp on my ibook that is how bad vpc is

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

21. iSuck thread starter macrumors member

iSuck

im thinkin on a 15 Inch powerbook, if I cant, ill get an iBook

22. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

Welcome, and hopefully you have made the right choice. Macs are great for their own reasons, and dare I say it, peecees are decent for what they are built to do, which is to bare the brunt of the hit test when things get slow. Anyway, Macs are known for their longevity, and the quality of the computers in general. The way that my 21 year old ||e is still running, albeit slowly, and the fact that I also have a 10 year old LC575 :eek: which is running system 8, tells you something about the Apple quality. My brother has had 4 Windblows laptops in the space of time between my iMac and my PowerMac, which is about 4 years. Dulls or any other peecee makers are not known for their longevity, and with a Mac, you are almost guaranteed 5 years of use, with the most current OS updates available.

I strongly believe that in the next few years, Macs will become fashionable, as they have in New York, and also more corporate companies will take advantage of the stability of the Mac Os, and start implementing the computers in much the same way that Windblows computers get used today.

Good luck with your choice, as I can understand it will be a hard one, and if you are really worried about gaming, get a Ps2 or an Xbox :eek:, they are made to do that, unlike the peecees you see today.

Good luck.

23. iSuck thread starter macrumors member

iSuck

All computers are meant to play games, its the users choice, as the user, i want online gaming!

24. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    sure all computers can play games, the question is what game and how playable

i can play games on my mac but i know its limits i dont expect mircales from it

25. Makosuke macrumors 603

If GTA: VC Online is a really important part of what you want from your computing experience, then you've got two choices: Get the Mac laptop and use your desktop PC to play that game (and any others without a Mac version), or get a PC laptop.

Not having played that game, I suppose I could be mistaken, but wouldn't it run pretty poorly even on a PC laptop? Really, if you're at all serious about gaming, going with either a console or a tower is the smart move, since with any laptop--PC or otherwise unless you go to those huge Alienware beasts or their kin--you're getting an underpowered, usually un-upgradeable graphics card.

Maybe I'm not following you, but to me it seems like a Mac laptop would give you almost everything you really want from a computer, freeing up your desktop PC for gaming only. Spend $100 or so every now and then on a half-decent graphics card, and it'll do its job. And since there's still a selection of games available for the Mac, you can get at least some (that aren't too demanding) to play on your laptop when away from your desk or when the mood strikes.

That's what I'd do in your situation, anyway. If you're pretty sure you want the Mac already, figure out a way to make it work fo you. That's what I do--pick the tool I want, and then do what's necessary to fill in the gaps it leaves. Nothing's perfect, but almost anything can be made to do what you want, and some things have less gaps to fill than others.

I've never felt there was a shortage of software for my Mac, and with the exception of one single occasion (I wanted to transcode video from a VERY obscure bleeding-edge codec into something more common) I've never needed to go to a Windows box to get something done. Everything you list outside of specific games that currently have no Mac version is easily done on a Mac, and in my opinion done better than the equivalent on Windows.

Why not just go for it--Mac laptops have great resale value anyway, if for some bizarre reason you really end up hating the thing. You'll never know if you don't try.