A .mac question regarding hompage

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Solafaa, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

How can i make a homepage where i upload a large file (around 100-200MB) without giving people my account name?

For example if my email is test@mac.com i would like to upload and host a homepage without showing the test thingy. When i host my homepage i dont want my name to be in the url.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Don't think that will be possible using .mac

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I've seen sites where the URL is masked, and everything is hosted on .Mac, but if anything is hosted there, someone can just look through the source and find your username.

4. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

If you get a domain name from some place like www.no-ip.com then you can direct people to your .mac site with that domain. You can use the free domain name service from www.no-ip.com if you don't want to buy one. But when it gets originally redirected, people can sometimes see the name. My www.russosorchardlanefarm.com is hosted on .mac though no-ip.com.

5. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Interesting, how does that work with www.no-ip.com? Do we need to register our .Mac homepage address with them or an actual domain address?

6. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Um, yeah, you will have to tell someone at some point how to point to your .mac address so people can get there. Russos is my payed for domain, but you can just get a .no-ip.com address or one of the others for free. Just have to live with the .no-ip.something ending to your domain, but hey, its free.

Attached Files:

7. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

May i use one of my alias's so that it would apper insted of my account name?

8. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i couldn't find a way to do that. but i would like to because i think it's stupid to advertise my paid for email adress to everybody by using it as homepage name. .mac should change that.

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

An example of the free no-ip.com service: http://counterfit.no-ip.com